Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
butchkemper
butchkemper

Send Message to Browseer Empty Send Message to Browseer

Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:40 am
I have not  found the Pandora equivalent to the Eudora command "Send to Browser" while reading a message.  Is that command available?

Thank your.

Butch Kemper
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Send Message to Browseer Empty Re: Send Message to Browseer

Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:12 am
Here is how to do it:

1. Open Filters, create new filter with following specs:

Criteria: Any Header appears
Type: Manual
Action #1: Notify Application [Select your Internet browser].
Under parameters paste %MESSAGE_FILE_TEXT_HTML%. See Help/Filters for all available parameters.
Action #2: Skip Other Filters.

2. Save filters.

Once you set it up - it's a singular menu item, much like "Send to Browser", but you have a control over it, and you can set up few more (for different browsers, text editors and such).

To Use It

Select one or more messages from the mailbox window, or open some message:
Hit 'Message/Apply Filters' from the main menu and choose the above filter from the list.
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Send Message to Browseer Empty Send to Browser experiences and recommendations

Sun May 16, 2021 4:15 pm
I just tested the above approach, by creating a manual filter to two of the several browsers that are installed on my system, Waterfox and Pale Moon. The filter set-up was a little "iffy" to set up (some of the time filter changes did not switch on or off when I changed them so I had to repeat some of them until they came into effect),

One major problem with this approach is that I have over one thousand filters (imported from Eudora during decades of use). This makes it virtually impossible to locate the "Send to browser" filter among the massive list of filters. I overcame this by using a text editor on the Filters.xml -- which assumes the user has some familiarity with XML -- to locate the two new filters, and them I moved these filters to the start of the Filters.xml file. After that, selecting these manual filters were easy to locate (at the top of the filters list).

However a significant usability problem arises. It turns out that such manual filters do not display the name of the browser (or other target application). Both of the Filters list entries were designated ambiguously as <<Any Header>>:appears* therefore I had always to guess whether the selected message would be sent to Waterfox or Pale Moon. I would highly recommend that the application name should appear in  each such filter.

Send Message to Browseer Pandora-manual-filter-enhancement-needed

Filters in Pandora are way more powerful/flexible than in Eudora, another impressive improvement - thank you Brana!   Cool  

My overall conclusion:
Having a built-in "Send to default browser" or just "Send to browser" just like Eudora's (in the top-level context menu) would be much more user friendly, so I recommend that it be implemented in Pandora. And best to place it at the top level of the editing context menu, for convenience;

Send Message to Browseer Pandora-send-to-browser-context-menu-positioning

Last edited by NotesTracker on Sun May 16, 2021 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : https://asiapac.com.au/misc/images/pandora-send-to-browser-context-menu-positioning.jpg)
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Sun May 16, 2021 6:45 pm
NotesTracker wrote:
One major problem with this approach is that I have over one thousand filters (imported from Eudora during decades of use). This makes it virtually impossible to locate the "Send to browser" filter among the massive list of filters. I overcame this by using a text editor on the Filters.xml -- which assumes the user has some familiarity with XML -- to locate the two new filters, and them I moved these filters to the start of the Filters.xml file. After that, selecting these manual filters were easy to locate (at the top of the filters list).

How about this:
1. Open Filters, locate, select and right-click your "send to browser" filter.
2. Choose "Description...", enter some friendly name, say "Send to Internet Explorer". Hit Update.
3. Optionally, drag and drop the same filter above/below other manual filters.
4. Hit File/Save.

Tony Austin likes this post

Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Mon May 17, 2021 1:09 am
Thanks again, Butch Brana, that worked fine.

I didn't notice  the "Description..." option in the context menu of the left Filters panel. (I was expecting to find it among the many parameters in the right-hand panel.)

Last edited by NotesTracker on Mon May 17, 2021 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total
butchkemper
butchkemper

Mon May 17, 2021 3:15 am
NotesTracker wrote:Thanks again, Butch, that worked fine.

I didn't notice  the "Description..." option in the context menu of the left Filters panel. (I was expecting to find it among the many parameters in the right-hand panel.)

That was Brana of E-Gadgets you should be thanking.

Butch
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:59 pm
I managed to get manual filters working following Brana's steps above, and found that it's a less-than-perfect solution -- but certainly better than having no solution!

In Eudora you simply place the mouse cursor anywhere in the preview window and select "Send to Browser" and the preview pane is faithfully opened in a tab of the browser. This only works for the browser that's defined as the Windows default browser [for displaying HTML), but that is perfectly adequate.

In order to use a manual filter to accomplish this with Pandora, you first are forced to open the message in its own window before applying the manual filter, which is a clumsy procedure compared with Eudora's implementation of "Send to Browser" -- it means yet another window gets opened in Pandora and I presume this unnecessarily chews up valuable GDI object resources (which are at a premium in the current version of Pandora at the time of writing). It also means that you have to remember to close the message window once it has been sent to the browser, an annoying extra step compared with Eudora.

I have also found that any graphics in the Pandora message are NOT displayed in the browser, which is a major shortcoming. (I found that the graphics image files are present.

I wouldn't expect your "average" Pandora user would be able to, or want to go to the trouble of creating a manual filter for this function.

Brana, find myself using "Send to Browser" quite frequently and hope that when your busy schedule permits you will implement it just the way that Eudora does (and, importantly, in the top-level context menu of a message's preview pane, for quick and efficient operation. Pandora's "Apply Filter(s)" is a less than desirable two-level process.
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:20 pm
I've been using Pandora for roughly six months now.  I was running Pandora in parallel with Eudora until a few weeks ago, but have stopped using Eudora and retain it only as an archive (just in case some things didn't get migrated across to Pandora).

Regarding Send To Browser, I have just gotten around to recording a video showing how to use filters to in Pandora (as Butch explained to us above), and pointing out the clumsiness of this approach. The link is Send To Browser video  ... Recorded with Pandora version 3.8.1.1

I still would love to see Send To Browser -- meaning the Windows default browser (which is quite sufficient) -- at the top level of a message preview pane's context menu., making it as easy to use as in Eudora.
mjburns
mjburns
https://railroadflat.org/weather

Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:46 am
This is something I greatly miss moving from Eudora to Pandora. I set up the send to Browser as above, don't desire every browser I have installed, just the default browser (Firefox). The images are missing. Looking at the source code of the message sent to the temp file I see data: directly in front of the URL to the image. Any way to get rid of "data:" in front of the image code?
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Sat Jan 14, 2023 2:31 am
Yeah, I totally agree. Just to say it again: There really does need to be a native Pandora implementation of "Send to Browser" in the message context menu that works seamlessly and flawlessly like Eudora's implementation.

Send Message to Browseer Send-t10

But in opening Eudora to take the above screenshot I was reminded (circled at the top of the image) that one of the key advantages of Pandora is its proper handling of character sets!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum