Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
avatar
cowpoke43
Posts : 8
Join date : 2020-12-26

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Stuck in Demo Mode

Sat Dec 26, 2020 4:13 pm
New installation. Not able to get out of Demo Mode. Run Pandora as administrator and the "Purchase, Register, Buy Later" box appears. I click on the "Register" and have input the information form my receipt email exactly as presented multiple times (case sensitive, no extra spaces), click on update but always come up in Demo Mode. Even tried leaving out the hyphens in the serial number but no difference.
Unistalled and reinstalled Pandora but no change.

With Pandora running, I do show my dominant personality and correct email client and my messages are downloading. However, Pandora is somehow deleting all messages from my client server when downloading which I would like to leave them on the server but can not find any topic in the help file as to how to make that happen. Have tried all the selections under "Settings" with no success.

Help Please and Thanks.
butchkemper
butchkemper
Posts : 66
Join date : 2018-06-04
Age : 76
Location : Sachse, Texas US

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:45 am
cowpoke43 wrote:New installation. Not able to get out of Demo Mode. Run Pandora as administrator and the "Purchase, Register, Buy Later" box appears. I click on the "Register" and have input the information form my receipt email exactly as presented multiple times (case sensitive, no extra spaces), click on update but always come up in Demo Mode. Even tried leaving out the hyphens in the serial number but no difference.
Unistalled and reinstalled Pandora but no change.

With Pandora running, I do show my dominant personality and correct email client and my messages are downloading. However, Pandora is somehow deleting all messages from my client server when downloading which I would like to leave them on the server but can not find any topic in the help file as to how to make that happen. Have tried all the selections under "Settings" with no success.

Help Please and Thanks.

The Pandora license applies to a series so here are some things to check:

  • On the email you received with the registration information, is a statement that says "This registration information is valid for the series X  (releases X.1 - X.9) - the "X" is replaced with the series number that was valid when the license was purchased.
  • The current series is "3" and version 3.6.3 is available for download.
  • If the registration series and the installed software series do not match, the registration will fail.
  • The version of the installed software is found at menu item HELP and About Pandora or Shift+F1.
  • The registration User Name and Serial Number must be entered exactly as written in the registration email.  They are case sensitive and so  I always use copy/paste to avoid typos.

The Option controlling message deletion after download is found here:

  • Open the Personalities window either by clicking on menu item VIEW and then PERSONALITIES or by clicking Ctrl+F2.
  • Right-click on <DOMINANT>, select PROPERTIES, and left-click.
  • On the Properties for <Dominant>, near the bottom is a check-box titled "Leave mail on server".  When this box is checked, the downloaded email remains on the server.
  • Click OKAY.

I hope this helps and please let me if you still have difficulties.

Butch
avatar
cowpoke43
Posts : 8
Join date : 2020-12-26

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:01 pm
Thanks for the help Butch.
Think I have the original questions taken care of but now have another strange thing happening.
When Pandora downloads from the server I never know which mail box the messages will appear in but none so far show up in the "IN" box.
I have created a number of mailboxes for specific topics but today all the messages appeared in my mailbox titled "Insurance" while yesterday they all appeared in an entirely different mailbox.
Yesterday I created filters for many of the messages including some specifically for the "In" box but on today's download none of the filters made any difference.
To create the filter, I right click on the message, left click on "Filter", left click on "move to", left click on the desired mailbox, left click on "Make".
Filter creation seems to work as it asks to save filters on exit.
Thanks
butchkemper
butchkemper
Posts : 66
Join date : 2018-06-04
Age : 76
Location : Sachse, Texas US

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:36 pm
cowpoke43 wrote:Thanks for the help Butch.
Think I have the original questions taken care of but now have another strange thing happening.
When Pandora downloads from the server I never know which mail box the messages will appear in but none so far show up in the "IN" box.
I have created a number of mailboxes for specific topics but today all the messages appeared in my mailbox titled "Insurance" while yesterday they all appeared in an entirely different mailbox.
Yesterday I created filters for many of the messages including some specifically for the "In" box but on today's download none of the filters made any difference.
To create the filter, I right click on the message, left click on "Filter", left click on "move to", left click on the desired mailbox, left click on "Make".
Filter creation seems to work as it asks to save filters on exit.
Thanks

You can inspect the filters previously created by clicking on menu VIEW then clicking on FILTERS - an alternate is pressing Ctrl+F10.  In the Filter window, select a filter with a left-click and then shift between CRITERIA and ACTION to view and edit the rule.  Be sure to read the Filter topic in the Help file.

I have always built filters in the Filter window rather than doing a right-click on the message.  I feel more comfortable understanding the filter actions when I have built them myself.

When the Filter window is open and a filter is selected,  near the bottom of the ACTION section are two items in the "Record the .." entry: Log the Event - which places an entry in the Log, and Record Message Transfer in Filter Report which places entries Filter Log.  The information is useful to understand which filters are being activated and what is happening.  The Log and Filter Report are opened in the VIEW menu.

If there are no messages in the IN mailbox, that means the Filters are moving them to another mailbox.

I hope this helps.

Butch


Last edited by butchkemper on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Additional information)
butchkemper
butchkemper
Posts : 66
Join date : 2018-06-04
Age : 76
Location : Sachse, Texas US

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:07 pm
cowpoke43 wrote:Thanks for the help Butch.
Think I have the original questions taken care of but now have another strange thing happening.
When Pandora downloads from the server I never know which mail box the messages will appear in but none so far show up in the "IN" box.
I have created a number of mailboxes for specific topics but today all the messages appeared in my mailbox titled "Insurance" while yesterday they all appeared in an entirely different mailbox.
Yesterday I created filters for many of the messages including some specifically for the "In" box but on today's download none of the filters made any difference.
To create the filter, I right click on the message, left click on "Filter", left click on "move to", left click on the desired mailbox, left click on "Make".
Filter creation seems to work as it asks to save filters on exit.
Thanks

Couple of points I forgot to put in the previous reply:

  • All incoming messages appear in the IN mailbox unless transferred elsewhere by a Filter.
  • Each message is processed through the Filter stack, top to bottom.
  • If a message is not matched by a Filter then the next Filter is processed.
  • If a message is matched by a Filter, the actions in the ACTION section are processed.

    • If the "Skip Other Filters" action is present in a rule, the message exits the Filter stack processing.
    • If the "Skip Other Filters" action is not present in a rule, the message continues to the next Filter in the stack.



I hope this helps.

Butch
avatar
cowpoke43
Posts : 8
Join date : 2020-12-26

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:57 pm
Hi Butch and thanks for hanging in there with me.
Yesterday I thought everything was working fine. When I checked mail from the server, all new messages appeared in the "In" box.
Today upon checking mail from the server, all new messages downloaded to my "Ebay" mailbox and some of those new messages even had filters associated with them. Nothing downloaded to the "In" box and the filters were apparently ignored.
I made no setting changes whatsoever to Pandora between yesterday and today.
Pandora seems to have a mind of it's own.
Claude
butchkemper
butchkemper
Posts : 66
Join date : 2018-06-04
Age : 76
Location : Sachse, Texas US

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:45 pm
cowpoke43 wrote:Hi Butch and thanks for hanging in there with me.
Yesterday I thought everything was working fine. When I checked mail from the server, all new messages appeared in the "In" box.
Today upon checking mail from the server, all new messages downloaded to my "Ebay" mailbox and some of those new messages even had filters associated with them. Nothing downloaded to the "In" box and the filters were apparently ignored.
I made no setting changes whatsoever to Pandora between yesterday and today.
Pandora seems to have a mind of it's own.
Claude
The Filters do exactly what you tell them to do - but sometimes, we do not understand what we tell them to do.

The default destination for a message is the In mailbox and unless a filter rule changes the destination to something else, the message will remain in the In mailbox.

I would suggest you open the Filters window (Ctrl+F10) and then

  • Carefully review each Filter and make sure Actions for each Filter includes "Skip Other Filters".  This puts a red stop sign at the end of each Filter rule and stops the message from being processed by other Filters lower in the list.
  • Insure each Filter has both Incoming and Manual Actions selected.
  • Review the location where each Filter will copy or move a message.  Be extremely careful about copying/moving a message to the In mailbox as you could cause a loop in Filter processing.
  • Each filter can record information in the Log and Filter Report files for information on what the Filter matched and the actions taken.  Set those Record Actions.

I hope this helps.

Butch
avatar
cowpoke43
Posts : 8
Join date : 2020-12-26

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:01 pm
Reviewed the filters and corrected as you described. Removed all duplicates and those directing message to the in box.
Checked mail and the three new messages which have no filters associated with them did not appear in the "In" box but appeared in another totally unrelated box. I have now enabled the "New Mail Alert" and "Notification Strip" so maybe that will help with solving this.
When this happens I have had a hard time finding where the new messages went as it seems to be random.
What is the red circle with the minus sign in the "Skip Other Filters"? Am I correct in assuming that the operation is selected when the selection turns white?
Thanks,
Claude
butchkemper
butchkemper
Posts : 66
Join date : 2018-06-04
Age : 76
Location : Sachse, Texas US

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:48 pm
cowpoke43 wrote:Reviewed the filters and corrected as you described. Removed all duplicates and those directing message to the in box.
Checked mail and the three new messages which have no filters associated with them did not appear in the "In" box but appeared in another totally unrelated box. I have now enabled the "New Mail Alert" and "Notification Strip" so maybe that will help with solving this.
When this happens I have had a hard time finding where the new messages went as it seems to be random.
What is the red circle with the minus sign in the "Skip Other Filters"? Am I correct in assuming that the operation is selected when the selection turns white?
Thanks,
Claude
Messages are processed through the Filter stack, top to bottom.   The message is evaluated by the Filter Criteria section and If no match is found, the next Filter is processed.  If a match is found, the message is processed according to the Filter Action section.  Click on the Action button at the top of the Filter to see the Filter Actions possible with the filter.  The last Filter Action is a red stop sign "Skip Other Filters" which when added to the Filter signifies the Message should not be processed by any other Filters remaining in the stack.  You add this Action to a Filter by clicking on the stop sign which adds the red stop sign to the Filter.

Almost at the bottom of the Filter Action is the Record the Event action and the first choice is "Log the Event".  When this Action is selected, an entry is placed in the Log which gives the match reason and what action was taken.  This option is very useful for debugging the filter to determine what happened.  I highly recommend setting this Action

Butch
avatar
cowpoke43
Posts : 8
Join date : 2020-12-26

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:14 pm
Hi Butch,
Think I now have Pandora working now (as far as I can tell) thanks to your continued help. You are a GEM and I wanted you to know how much I appreciate your persistence in helping me solve this and how fortunate this forum is has you helping.
Thanks again and have a wonderful day.
Claude
butchkemper
butchkemper
Posts : 66
Join date : 2018-06-04
Age : 76
Location : Sachse, Texas US

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:50 pm
cowpoke43 wrote:Hi Butch,
Think I now have Pandora working now (as far as I can tell) thanks to your continued help. You are a GEM and I wanted you to know how much I appreciate your persistence in helping me solve this and how fortunate this forum is has you helping.
Thanks again and have a wonderful day.
Claude
I am glad that I was able to help you.  Good luck and let me know if you have further questions.

Butch
avatar
cowpoke43
Posts : 8
Join date : 2020-12-26

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:11 pm
Well I thought I was all set and I do think the original problem was solved.
However, now when I check mail, the filters seem to be working as the various mail boxes appear just above the "Log" window but there is a small box at the bottom right of the screen labeled "Log" which displays a small wheel turning which never stops and I can not select anything while it is spinning.
Tried closing and restarting Pandora but the spinning wheel just came back.
The only way I have been able to proceed is by right clicking that box and selecting "Clear log".
Does not seem so but is that normal?
Thanks,
Claude
butchkemper
butchkemper
Posts : 66
Join date : 2018-06-04
Age : 76
Location : Sachse, Texas US

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:44 pm
cowpoke43 wrote:Well I thought I was all set and I do think the original problem was solved.
However, now when I check mail, the filters seem to be working as the various mail boxes appear just above the "Log" window but there is a small box at the bottom right of the screen labeled "Log" which displays a small wheel turning which never stops and I can not select anything while it is spinning.
Tried closing and restarting Pandora but the spinning wheel just came back.
The only way I have been able to proceed is by right clicking that box and selecting "Clear log".
Does not seem so but is that normal?
Thanks,
Claude
That box and wheel is a activity indicator.  Right-click on LOG and left-click on View Log Pane where you can see what entries are in the Log Pane. Occasionally, I see what you are describing and I think is it caused by a big/long message passing through the Filter Stack.  My guess is one or more Filters contain a Basic Criteria using "Anywhere" for the first argument and the third or match argument may also be long or complex.

I have found that giving Pandora time to complete processing clears up the issue.  "Giving Pandora time" means removing your hands from the keyboard and mouse.  Also, check the Background Tasks settings "Wait for X seconds of user inactivity before processing message" and make sure X is a small single digit greater than zero.

Butch
avatar
cowpoke43
Posts : 8
Join date : 2020-12-26

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm
Have allowed Pandora to sit untouched for a good 30 minutes and the wheel is still turning. Not sure when it happened but after some time elapsed I was able to access things with the mouse pointer while the wheel was revolving. Initially while the wheel was revolving I could not access anything.
Under Background Tasks the wait time was set to 10 seconds and I was able to change it to 3.
Just checked and the wheel is still revolving.
Closed and reopened the program and the wheel is still revolving.
Closed, waited 1 minute, opened, wheel is still revolving.
Looking at the log it appears to be hung up on the filter for "Pandora Mail Forum" <noreply@forumotion.com>". I have compared that filter with others which are working correctly and they are set up exactly the same. Will delete that filter and see if your reply comes straight too the "In" box and the wheel stops turning.
Deleted the filter, closed and reopened, but no change.
Will also try a computer reboot.
Claude
butchkemper
butchkemper
Posts : 66
Join date : 2018-06-04
Age : 76
Location : Sachse, Texas US

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:33 pm
cowpoke43 wrote:Have allowed Pandora to sit untouched for a good 30 minutes and the wheel is still turning. Not sure when it happened but after some time elapsed I was able to access things with the mouse pointer while the wheel was revolving. Initially while the wheel was revolving I could not access anything.
Under Background Tasks the wait time was set to 10 seconds and I was able to change it to 3.
Just checked and the wheel is still revolving.
Closed and reopened the program and the wheel is still revolving.
Closed, waited 1 minute, opened, wheel is still revolving.
Looking at the log it appears to be hung up on the filter for "Pandora Mail Forum" <noreply@forumotion.com>". I have compared that filter with others which are working correctly and they are set up exactly the same. Will delete that filter and see if your reply comes straight too the "In" box and the wheel stops turning.
Deleted the filter, closed and reopened, but no change.
Will also try a computer reboot.
Claude
You have exceeded my ability to help solve this problem.

I suggest you submit a bug report.  Click on menu Help,  then highlight Send Feedback,  click on Report a Bug, and then complete the email with sufficient information to assist Egadgets in determining what is wrong.

Butch
avatar
cowpoke43
Posts : 8
Join date : 2020-12-26

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:57 pm
Thanks Butch,
Will send a bug report and thanks so much for all your help. Certainly over and above.
Claude
Sponsored content

Stuck in Demo Mode Empty Re: Stuck in Demo Mode

Back to top
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum