Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
megavolt512

Pandora privacy policy? Empty Pandora privacy policy?

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:47 pm
Hi folks, I'm really interested in switching from Eudora to Pandora, and I tried the x64 version.

One concern I had was the number of outgoing connections the program attempted to make - even before setting it up? The first connection was made to Hurricane network as soon as the program was launched. As I executed the importer, the program made a flurry of connects to Amazon and Akami networks.

I'm sure these are legitimate, but since it's an email program I'm just looking for an explanation of why all these outgoing connections are happening?
John
butchkemper
butchkemper

Pandora privacy policy? Empty Re: Pandora privacy policy?

Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:50 pm
megavolt512 wrote:Hi folks, I'm really interested in switching from Eudora to Pandora, and I tried the x64 version.

One concern I had was the number of outgoing connections the program attempted to make - even before setting it up?  The first connection was made to Hurricane network as soon as the program was launched.  As I executed the importer, the program made a flurry of connects to Amazon and Akami networks.

I'm sure these are legitimate, but since it's an email program I'm just looking for an explanation of why all these outgoing connections are happening?
John

I know Pandora will check for a software update at the program startup. This feature is controlled by Settings | General | Background Tasks, find the option When starting, and select Check for updates.

Just out of curiosity, how did you track these network connections?

Butch
megavolt512

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:23 pm
I am using Malwarebytes Windows Firewall control - which is basically just a nice graphical interface for the native windows firewall.  

When a new program (just installed) is launched, it tells you the executable attempting the outgoing connection, and the source and destination IP's.

The IP's Pandora created outgoing connections to:

66.220.9.57  port 80   (whois resolves to Hurricane Electric LLC)

(the above were upon initial launch of the program (no accounts set up).

during the import eudora messages activity, a flurry of outgoing connects were made to both these ip's as well as:

23.47.49.43 port 80  (resolves to Akami networks)
13.226.177.191   port 443  (rest are Amazon technologies)
13.226.189.159  port 80
12.226.189.152  port 80
13.226.177.140  port 80

All of the above were requested by Pandora.exe   the importer  (importer.exe) also created outgoing connections to both Amazon and Google ip's

Like I said, this is almost certainly completely legit.  It's just unusual.  I've installed many programs and it's strange to see so  many outgoing connections.   Why would importing local messages require outgoing connections to Amazon?   Perhaps he's using their cloud services as part of the conversion process?   I don't know but just wanted to ask.  The program looks great and I'm ready to migrate over to it.   Just concerned about what all these connections are.
John
butchkemper
butchkemper

Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:13 am
megavolt512 wrote:I am using Malwarebytes Windows Firewall control - which is basically just a nice graphical interface for the native windows firewall.  

When a new program (just installed) is launched, it tells you the executable attempting the outgoing connection, and the source and destination IP's.

The IP's Pandora created outgoing connections to:

66.220.9.57  port 80   (whois resolves to Hurricane Electric LLC)

(the above were upon initial launch of the program (no accounts set up).

during the import eudora messages activity, a flurry of outgoing connects were made to both these ip's as well as:

23.47.49.43 port 80  (resolves to Akami networks)
13.226.177.191   port 443  (rest are Amazon technologies)
13.226.189.159  port 80
12.226.189.152  port 80
13.226.177.140  port 80

All of the above were requested by Pandora.exe   the importer  (importer.exe) also created outgoing connections to both Amazon and Google ip's

Like I said, this is almost certainly completely legit.  It's just unusual.  I've installed many programs and it's strange to see so  many outgoing connections.   Why would importing local messages require outgoing connections to Amazon?   Perhaps he's using their cloud services as part of the conversion process?   I don't know but just wanted to ask.  The program looks great and I'm ready to migrate over to it.   Just concerned about what all these connections are.
John

The first IP 66.220.9.57 is the location of www.drivehq.com which contains the download repository for Pandora.  When Pandora is started, a check is made to see if an updated version is available.  This activity is controlled by Settings | General | Background Tasks, General Background Tasks, When Starting, and select Check for updates.

I have no idea what the rest are but I would bet my last $2 bill that references to those IP addresses are benign.

If you need to know what is happening, then you will need to send a message to Brana at E-Gadgets Support <support.egadgets@gmail.com> or go to Help | Send Feedback | Report a Bug.

Butch
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:58 pm
megavolt, you can monitor all online tasks via Tasks pane (View/Task).

Pandora does not do any secondary/covert online operations such as usage statistics report, audit, advertisements etc. Granted, those are lucrative opportunities, but also intrusive; they just don't fit well in the same package with e-mail. The lack of those operations adds value to Pandora, the way I see it.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum