Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
rick

Best way to migrate 10 years of emails to Pandora Empty Best way to migrate 10 years of emails to Pandora

Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:36 pm
Like many others here I am finally giving up on Eudora and moving to a modern email client.
I have Eudora installed several times on my data drive. Each installation has its own program folder and its own data folders. This allows me to separate my old mails from my new mails.

I have separated my emails and deleted everything form 2010 and older
I have separated my remaining emails in Eudora into two folders
One folder is 2019 to date.
The second folder is 2011 to 2018.
Each folder has about 50,000 emails.
I would like to import all of them into Pandora. I am wondering if Pandora will struggle with the extra email when searching.
I can't see a way to install Pandora into two separate folders, so it seems to me I have two options:
1. Import all of the emails mails into Pandora. This is a little over 100k emails. This is my first choice if it doesn't slow down Pandora. too much.
2. Import the newer emails into Pandora, and keep Eudora with the old emails for when I really need to go back in time.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Rick
butchkemper
butchkemper

Best way to migrate 10 years of emails to Pandora Empty Re: Best way to migrate 10 years of emails to Pandora

Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:01 am
rick wrote:Like many others here I am finally giving up on Eudora and moving to a modern email client.
I have Eudora installed  several times on my data drive. Each installation has its own program folder and its own data folders. This allows me to separate my old mails from my new mails.

I have  separated my emails and deleted everything  form 2010 and older
I have separated my remaining emails in Eudora into two folders
One folder is 2019 to date.
The  second folder is 2011 to 2018.
Each folder has about 50,000 emails.
I would like to import all of them into Pandora. I am wondering if  Pandora will struggle with the extra email when searching.
I can't see a way to install Pandora into two separate folders, so  it seems to me I have two options:
1. Import all of the emails mails into Pandora.  This is a little over 100k emails. This is my first choice if it doesn't slow down Pandora. too much.
2. Import the newer emails into Pandora, and keep Eudora with the old emails for when I really need  to go back in time.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Thanks
Rick

I have one installation of Pandora with multiple mail boxes and folders.  My configuration is:

• A monthly mailbox at the Mail level called Sep 2021 Email.
  • A mail folder at the Local Mailboxes level called Mail 2021 where previous monthly mailboxes for 2021 are stored.
  • End of month processing is to move the current month mailbox to Mail 2021 folder and create a new mailbox at the top level.
  • A mail folder at the Local Mailboxes level called Previous Years Email Folders where the annual email folders with mailboxes are stored.
  • Mail folders and mailboxes are moved using left-click,drag-and-drop.

The only problem I see is importing 50K messages will take some time so have patience.

I also save attachments and inline images in each message.  Nothing goes into the Attachments folder.

Regards,

Butch
rick

Best way to migrate 10 years of emails to Pandora Empty Re: Best way to migrate 10 years of emails to Pandora

Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:45 pm
Hello Butch,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

You are right, importing 50k emails takes a while. I start the import witch and the next day the task is done.
In the process of testing Pandora I have imported the mails several times
I am happy to report that each time the import was completed with out any problems

Does keeping years of email in Pandora slow down the searching, or anything else?

Thanks

Rick
butchkemper
butchkemper

Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:01 am
rick wrote:Hello Butch,

Thanks for the speedy reply.

You are right, importing 50k emails takes a while. I start the import witch and the next day the task is done.
In the process of testing Pandora I have imported the mails several times
I am happy to report that each time the import was completed with out any problems

Does keeping years of email in Pandora slow down the searching, or anything else?

Thanks

Rick

The only problem with your chosen configuration is the size of a mailbox containing 50K messages.  Large mailboxes are subject to problems due to length of time required to complete an update.

I suggest creating a scheme to split the single large mailbox into a structure of smaller mailboxes.  Once you have created the new mailbox structure, you can have Pandora can sort the big mailbox and then you can  move the messages to the new mailboxes.

Regards,

Butch
rick

Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:25 pm
Hello Butch,

I appreciate the suggestions.
I do worry about slowing things down.

I think I gave you the wrong impression.
Pandora reported that there were ~50K emails in ~2400 mail boxes.
After I thought about it, I trimmed about 1/2 of the mails that were to be imported, then deleted the old imported mails and imported again..
So now I have ~24k of mails, and still have ~2400 mail boxes.
My next task to is see if I can determine empty mail boxes and delete them, then work on the filters.

Thanks again for the help.

Rick
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum