Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Thibaud
Thibaud

mailboxes  Empty mailboxes

Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:10 pm
There is something with the mailboxes I don't understand.
I have beside the [Dominant] personality 2 more personalities: [pers1] and [pers2].
Above these personalities I see under [Pandora] 5 virtual mailboxes: In, Out, Sent, Junk and Trash.

As far as I understand this works as follows: when a messages comes in for any personality it is also put in the virtual [Pandora] In mailbox (or only a link?). In this way all incoming messages for all personalities can be found in the virtual [Pandora] In mailbox, very handy. I would expect these are actually links to the real message in the personality where it came in.
When I read a message in the [Pandora] In mailbox it will be markes as 'read'. Why is then the corresponding (linked?) message in the personality In box not marked as 'read' ?
Now I have handle each message twice, once in the Pandora] In box and once in the personality In box.

Thibaud
butchkemper
butchkemper

mailboxes  Empty Re: mailboxes

Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:46 pm
Thibaud wrote:There is something with the mailboxes I don't understand.
I have beside the [Dominant] personality 2 more personalities: [pers1] and [pers2].
Above these personalities I see under [Pandora] 5 virtual mailboxes: In, Out, Sent, Junk and Trash.

As far as I understand this works as follows: when a messages comes in for any personality it is also put in the virtual [Pandora] In mailbox (or only a link?). In this way all incoming messages for all personalities can be found in the virtual [Pandora] In mailbox, very handy. I would expect these are actually links to the real message in the personality where it came in.
When I read a message in the [Pandora] In mailbox it will be markes as 'read'. Why is then the corresponding (linked?) message in the personality In box not marked as 'read' ?
Now I have handle each message twice, once in the Pandora] In box and once in the personality In box.

Thibaud

I am confused because you refer to mailboxes and then you refer to personalities.  These are very separate items:
  • Personalities - These contain information relative to an account on a mail server.  All messages downloaded from a mail server is placed in the In Mailbox unless transferd or copied to another mailbox by a filter.
  • Mailboes - These contain messages and the messages are not linked to messages in another mailbox.

Please capture a screenshot of the screen that shows the Pandora windows you are talking about.  From the toolbar menu, you can use the Host an image and Insert an Image tools to show what you are seeing.

The Personalities are displayed by View | Personalities or Crtl+F2.  Mailboxes are displayed by View | Mailboxes or F5.

I do not understand what you mean by "virtual" mailboxes.  You must have a filter that copies messages from the In Mailbox to the "personality In box.

There are no "linked" messages between mailboxes.  Reading a message in a mailbox only marks that message as read.

Please give some images and more information to help understand what you are seeing and experiencing.

Butch
Thibaud
Thibaud

Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:40 pm
mailboxes  2022-011
butchkemper
butchkemper

Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:32 pm
Thibaud wrote:mailboxes  2022-011
The graphics you provided have helped me understand your Pandora configuration and questions.

The Personalities window shows four personalities defined for this Pandora configuration:
  • <Dominant> - An Imap connection with the account chabot@freedom.nl on the server Imap.freedom.nl.
  • Thibaud GSM - An Imap connection with the account thibaud.gsm@gmail.com on the server imap.gmail.com.
  • Thibaud TC - An imap connection with the account thibaud@taudinchabot.nl on the server imap.gmail.com.
  • Marjan - An Imap connection with the account mchabot@hetnet.nl on the server imap.kpnmail.nl.

The Pandora configuration is:
  • Contained in a directory structure where the last directory is named Pandora
  • The normal Pandora System mailboxes: In, Out, Sent, Junk,and Trash are located at the top of the directory structure.  These are the directories you refer to as virtual [Pandora].
  • The Pandora directory structure also contains the Imap mailbox structures which correspond to the Personality names.

I only use POP mail servers so I am not familiar with how Imap accounts function in Pandora.  I do know that new incoming messages from Imap accounts go to the Pandora In mailbox.  

Brana will need to answer your questions.

Butch
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Mon Feb 14, 2022 11:43 pm
In, Out, Sent, Junk & Trash are not virtual mailboxes. These are your consolidated local system mailboxes.

As there are 2 general types of mail accounts (POP and IMAP), there are 2 general ways of delivery:
1. POP - Delivery goes via download (from server to your local mailboxes).
2. IMAP - You access your mail directly by opening messages, located in your online mail-folders (all items below 5 system mailboxes on the picture).

However, depending on your preferences, you can:
1. Download IMAP messages, in POP-fashion, so mail from IMAP INBOX-es is downloaded to your one and only local In box (and optionally distributed to other local mailboxes).
For that option, check 'Include on global check' (under Personality/Checking Mail) or select your IMAP account via Mail Checking options (Ctrl+Shift+M).

2. Preview POP messages, in IMAP-fashion, so you can see what's on server before download.
To view mail on server, right-click POP Personality and choose View Mail on Server. These messages are displayed in virtual mailbox (mail on server).

In short - beside 2 standard delivery methods, Pandora emulates IMAP delivery-style for POP accounts and vice verse, so we keep that duality going.
Thibaud
Thibaud

Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:29 pm
It still puzzles me. Now I see mailboxes  2022-012
Why is there a message in one of the personalities INBOX which is not in the Pandora In box? That message in the personality INBOX is not present in the Pandora In box, I checked it.
In other cases I see the same message in the personality INBOX and  Pandora IN box. So I have to handle both messages.
All personalities are 'read full messages' and 'Include on global check' in the properties
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:44 pm
If you open your IMAP/INBOX before message download (Action/Check Mail) you will be able to see messages on server, not yet downloaded to your local mailboxes.

When Leave Mail on Server (under Personality/Properties/Checking Mail) is checked, message is not deleted from IMAP/INBOX, on message download (Action/Check Mail).

If you do not want that (i.e. to deal with 2 copies of the same message), un-check that option.
Thibaud
Thibaud

Tue Mar 08, 2022 2:19 pm
Is there a way to suppress the 5 "Pandora" mailboxes that are displayed at the top of the mailboxes list?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:09 pm
Thibaud wrote:Is there a way to suppress the 5 "Pandora" mailboxes that are displayed at the top of the mailboxes list?

There are two places to check: Settings | General and Settings | General+Shift+LeftClick.  However, I do not think an option exists to do what you want.

Butch
Thibaud
Thibaud

Tue Mar 08, 2022 5:07 pm
In the latter case I would like to have it on the wishlist
butchkemper
butchkemper

Tue Mar 08, 2022 6:53 pm
Thibaud wrote:In the latter case I would like to have it on the wishlist

For best results, make sure Brana sees your request by sending him an email requesting the change.  Go to Help | Send Feedback | Suggest A New Feature, fill out the email form, and send it off.  The message will go to Brana.

Butch
Thibaud
Thibaud

Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:57 am
I did already
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum