Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
ColRose

How to create a Mailing List of Recipients Empty How to create a Mailing List of Recipients

Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:54 pm
So far I am enjoying Pandora. However I cannot work out how to create a Mailing / Group list for my wife's club members. I can create an address book for them but how do I get their email addresses into a Nickname so that she can send an email to all members?
butchkemper
butchkemper

How to create a Mailing List of Recipients Empty Re: How to create a Mailing List of Recipients

Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:22 pm
ColRose wrote:So far I am enjoying Pandora. However I cannot work out how to create a Mailing / Group list for my wife's club members. I can create an address book for them but how do I get their email addresses into a Nickname so that she can send an email to all members?

The procedure to create a Mailing List in Pandora is straight forward:

• Open the Address Book.
  • Click on the New Folder option at the top left of the Address Book.
  • A Dialog box will open and in the Folder Name field, enter the new Mailing List Name and click the Create button.
  • Click on the New Card option and enter the Nickname for the list entry.
  • In the Full Name field, enter the person's name as it is to appear on the outgoing mail.
  • In Addresses field, enter the person's email address: joeblow@example.com.
  • Click on the New Card to repeat the process.
  • If you have the Address Book populated with entries,  you can create the Mailing List on a single card by entering the Nickname of each person on the list by placing their Nicknames in the Addresses field.  One Nickname per line with no space at the end of a name.
  • You can also create Mailing List entries by using a a single card for each list member.

Now the Mailing List is complete, you can access the list in several ways:

• Click on New Message in the Tool Bar and enter the Mailing List Name in an address field.
  • Selected the Mailing LIst Name in Address Book list and click on the To:, CC:, or BCC: button.
  • The Mailing List name can be used in any address field in the Message edit window.

Good luck and ask again if you have further questions.

Butch

ColRose likes this post

ColRose

How to create a Mailing List of Recipients Empty Re: How to create a Mailing List of Recipients

Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:23 am
Thanks. I had already Transferred Nicknames from the main address book into a Membership address book so all the required names were together. Then I was trying to copy the nicknames into a Members Mail List Card without success.

You suggest:
If you have the Address Book populated with entries,  you can create the Mailing List on a single card by entering the Nickname of each person on the list by placing their Nicknames in the Addresses field.  One Nickname per line with no space at the end of a name.

That's a lot of typing with the chance of error and a missed member in the email. I was hoping for a drag and drop or Select | Copy the Nicknames and Paste into the card.

My work-around was to export the selected list of cards to a csv file; copy the list of Nicknames from the exported csv file and paste the list into the Members Mail List Card addresses field. That worked well

Perhaps a future version of Pandora might have a Card Type of Mail List and then Nicknames could be Transferred into it in the same way that Cards are transferred to different Address Books?

Cheers
Colin

ColRose likes this post

seidmad

How to create a Mailing List of Recipients Empty Mailing List

Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:49 pm
If I understand correctly, you already have cards for the members of the group, but you want a simple way to address a single email to all the members of the group.  The following seems to work for me.

1.  Create a new folder in the address book.  Give it a name referring to the group.
2.  Move or copy the cards for the members of the group into that folder. (I usually use a file manager to do that, because I can't remember the procedure in Pandora.)
3.  To put all the members into the To field of an email
     a. View your addressbook.
     b. highlight the folder in the list (just the folder, the cards within it)
     c.  Click on the TO button at the bottom of the address book

Alternatively, follow the first two steps, then
3.  To put all the members into the To field of an email
     a. View your addressbook.
     b.  Highlight the cards for all the members (they appear indented below the file for the file)
     c.  Click on the TO button at the bottom of the address book

ColRose likes this post

ColRose

Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:27 am
Thanks for the reminder that, like Eudora, the folders of the address book are plain text files accessible with a file manager. It is easy to copy the *.vcf files into a new folder. This is easier than the method suggested by Butch and my work-around. I note that you "can't remember the procedure in Pandora" and that procedure is what I was looking for in the first place. I have tried the "Make a Card" Tab but I still don't know how to get the email addresses into it.
Thank you also for the 'tip' on including all cards from an address book folder to the TO field (or CC / BCC). You can, of course, also type the Nickname of the address book in the appropriate field.

Colin
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:14 pm
Here are few more things you can do:

You can assign same Label to several nicknames, via Notes & Labels Tab; when you type that label inside recipient-field (To, CC, BCC) it will be expanded into full recipients (of labeled entries).
(Don't forget to save Address Book upon assigning labels.)

You can also use store nickname inside Addresses (instead of e-mail). That nickname will be expanded into addresses. (Say you have entry with nickname "my list", with e-mail addresses a and b.
There is another nickname "list X" with addresses c and d and nickname "my list". When you type "list X" it will be expanded into addresses a, b, c, d; with corresponding full names of course.)
There is a bug however (fixed in upcoming release, 3.76) - if a folder exists with the same name as the nickname (in our case "my list") - it won't be expanded.

ColRose likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum