Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
TMedwin

Problems setting up with Outlook Empty Problems setting up with Outlook

Mon May 30, 2022 8:32 pm
I've registered with Pandora in the hope that I can use Outlook accounts with OAuth2. I have been using Eudora for 28 years but it apparently can't cope with OAuth2.

With Pandora I can successfully operate  my Gmail account (though it's not what I normally use).
For an Outlook account,  using settings: server= pod51002.outlook.com (in&out) , POP, OAuth2, Always(TSL/SSL), Port 995 the system stalls when I right click on the Personality and click Check Mail, saying "Checking" and "Listening". Sometimes it shows:

Google hasn’t verified this app
  The app is requesting access to sensitive info in your Google Account. Until the developer (support.egadgets@gmail.com)
  verifies this app with Google, you shouldn't use it.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas? Are there instructions somewhere telling how to set up Outlook emails with Pandora? If I can only get over these hurdles, things look encouraging, since the imminent barring of Eudora with Outlook's or my university's OAuth2 requirement is dire.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Problems setting up with Outlook Empty Re: Problems setting up with Outlook

Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:53 pm
TMedwin wrote:I've registered with Pandora in the hope that I can use Outlook accounts with OAuth2. I have been using Eudora for 28 years but it apparently can't cope with OAuth2.

With Pandora I can successfully operate  my Gmail account (though it's not what I normally use).
For an Outlook account,  using settings: server= pod51002.outlook.com (in&out) , POP, OAuth2, Always(TSL/SSL), Port 995 the system stalls when I right click on the Personality and click Check Mail, saying "Checking" and "Listening". Sometimes it shows:

Google hasn’t verified this app
  The app is requesting access to sensitive info in your Google Account. Until the developer (support.egadgets@gmail.com)
  verifies this app with Google, you shouldn't use it.

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Any ideas? Are there instructions somewhere telling how to set up Outlook emails with Pandora? If I can only get over these hurdles, things look encouraging, since the imminent barring of Eudora with Outlook's or my university's OAuth2 requirement is dire.

Here are the Instructions on how to setup OAuth2 authentication.  I suggest a complete reading before starting.

Butch
TMedwin

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:04 pm
There seems to be helpful stuff about Gmail at https://pandoramail.forumotion.net/t84-oauth2-steps . I can link Pandora to gmail fine. But does Pandora work with Outlook? If so, how do I find out the right settings to enter for an Outlook university account?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:28 pm
TMedwin wrote:There seems to be helpful stuff about Gmail at https://pandoramail.forumotion.net/t84-oauth2-steps . I can link Pandora to gmail fine. But does Pandora work with Outlook? If so, how do I find out the right settings to enter for an Outlook university account?

The only real differences between the Gmail settings and the Outlook settings should be the names of the servers.  Once you know the settings, it is not difficult to enter them into the Personality.

Ask your University Support staff how to setup the Outlook account using Pop.  Do not say anything about Pandora.

Once you have the information, proceed with the setup like you know what you are doing and you will probably find out  that you do.  If you make a mistake, no big problem.  Just correct the error and move forward.

Regards,

Butch
JeremyNicoll
JeremyNicoll

Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:14 am
[quote="butchkemper"]
The only real differences between the Gmail settings and the Outlook settings should be the names of the servers.[/quote]

I'm not sure if that's true, so far as OAuth2 goes. I've read elsewhere that Microsoft's implementation of OAuth2 is not the same as the Gmail one. Having said that, I've also read that Gmail's implementation has changed in some subtle ways in the last few weeks, so maybe theirs and MS's are now more similar. Or even less similar.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:20 pm
JeremyNicoll wrote:
butchkemper wrote:
The only real differences between the Gmail settings and the Outlook settings should be the names of the servers.

I'm not sure if that's true, so far as OAuth2 goes.  I've read elsewhere that Microsoft's implementation of OAuth2 is not the same as the Gmail one.  Having said that, I've also read that Gmail's implementation has changed in some subtle ways in the last few weeks, so maybe theirs and MS's are now more similar.  Or even less similar.

I have OAuth2 implemented for multiple Gmail accounts and a Hotmail account.  I have not experienced any problems with either.

There are two courses of action one can take:
  • Spend time pondering and wondering what will happen.
  • Do it and see what happens.  If it fails, then it does not work but now you know.

My tenancy is the latter.

Regards,

Butch
TMedwin

Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:42 pm
Is there anyone does use Pandora to access an Outlook account with Oauth2?
Everyone seems to talk about accessing Gmail accounts with Pandora. Yes, that works OK for me too.
I can also access Outlook with Thunderbird OK, using POP and Oauth2 with info from my university about the server name etc..
But this doesn't work for Pandora, which I want to use because I have 28 years of useful emails in Eudora/Pandora format.
Why does Butch tell me not to tell my university I am wanting to use Pandora? Is it considered a hazard?
Afraid I have neglected this project for a long time, but it is becoming urgent.
Thanks for any help,
Tony Medwin
butchkemper
butchkemper

Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:28 pm
TMedwin wrote:Is there anyone does use Pandora to access an Outlook account with Oauth2?
Everyone seems to talk about accessing Gmail accounts with Pandora. Yes, that works OK for me too.
I can also access Outlook with Thunderbird OK, using POP and Oauth2 with info from my university about the server name etc..
But this doesn't work for Pandora, which I want to use because I have 28 years of useful emails in Eudora/Pandora format.
Why does Butch tell me not to tell my university I am wanting to use Pandora? Is it considered a hazard?
Afraid I have neglected this project for a long time, but it is becoming urgent.
Thanks for any help,
Tony Medwin

Tony,

I say not to tell the university support staff about Pandora because most likely they know nothing about Pandora which enables the immediate response of "We do not support Pandora".

There may not be any response to your question about Outlook, Pandora, and OAuth2 because you are a Pioneer and the first person to attempt it.

Please provide a report of what happens when you attempt to access Outlook with Pandora use OAuth2 authentication.   Move forward to see if Pandora can access Outlook using OAuth2 authentication.  If the attempt fails, your description of what happened along with a complete description of any messages displayed will be helpful to determine what is going wrong.

Butch
TMedwin

Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:39 pm
Some progress on this problem has come up on the Eudora-win forum, from Mark Stoll. He says (29 Aug):

• Update: I installed Pandora but it did not successfully connect with the Office365 server. I wrote to ask about this, and Brana replied:
    As of right now Pandora supports OAuth2 authentication for GMail and Yahoo accounts. OAuth is not very portable, meaning - developer has to obtain unique client Id for every new server provider (ex Microsoft, Verizon, Comcast etc), before implementing OAuth for that provider. That's very much by design and is part of security protocol.
    Adding support for Office365 accounts was already requested and it's work in progress. Hopefully it will be available for version 4.2 (late September/early October).
    So I guess I'm stuck with Outlook until then.

Hopefully this means before long it may be possible to combine new Outlook emails with old Eudora folders on Pandora. UCL says that Outlook will only allow OAuth2 from Oct some time, and UCL has itself already insisted on OAuth2 authentication (or authorisation). Life gets hard!

My error messages with Pandora simply say, for example:
  • Task: Sending 'test' [UCL] | Status: Not Completed | Details: 5.7.3 Authentication unsuccessful [LO2P123CA0062.GBRP123.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM] [535] | Completed: 8 % |Time: 31/08/2022 16:06:24

Task: Checking UCL Status: Not Completed | Details: Protocol error. 16 | Completed: 7 % | Time: 31/08/2022 16:03:06

Tony
dflev

Problems setting up with Outlook Empty OAiuth2 with an organization which then connects to Microsoft Office365

Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:11 am
I had posted on this issue separately before someone pointed me to this discussion, so I am continuing here. Thanks very much for including Brana's comment in the previous post. Adding OAuth2 for Office 365 would be great. However, my organization (a university, which is probably not unique in this respect), is adding a twist to the problem: when I inquired with IT about finding some workaround for Eudora or Pandora, they replied: "I'll be looking into this as a possibility. What would be a blocker from immediately using it in the way other organizations may be doing it is in the way that we have users authenticate through [our] own login system, rather than directly using Microsoft's. I have in mind a configuration change that may help get around that."

Would this type of setup make it impossible to provide for OAuth2 authentication from Pandora? (They also are really trying to avoid POP, but they might make an exception for that if authentication was upgraded).

Thanks,
Doug
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:41 pm
dflev wrote:I had posted on this issue separately before someone pointed me to this discussion, so I am continuing here. Thanks very much for including Brana's comment in the previous post. Adding OAuth2 for Office 365 would be great. However, my organization (a university, which is probably not unique in this respect), is adding a twist to the problem: when I inquired with IT about finding some workaround for Eudora or Pandora, they replied: "I'll be looking into this as a possibility. What would be a blocker from immediately using it in the way other organizations may be doing it is in the way that we have users authenticate through [our] own login system, rather than directly using Microsoft's. I have in mind a configuration change that may help get around that."

Would this type of setup make it  impossible to provide for OAuth2 authentication from Pandora? (They also are really trying to avoid POP, but they might make an exception for that if authentication was upgraded).

Thanks,
Doug

Doug,

Just to clarify:

• POP and IMAP are email access protocols.
  • OAuth2 is an authentication protocol and is separate from POP or IMAP.  
  • Email access protocols require a mechanism to authenticate the user's identification - are they who they say they are.
  • Early authentication protocol was built into the email access protocols and were simple userid with an unencrypted password.
  • SSL/TLS security protocols improved authentication by having the server/client data stream encrypted which encrypted the userid and password.
  • Security requirements have changed so the userid and password model are not longer sufficient.  Additional information is required such as the 2FA .
  • 2FA works with something you know - userid and password, with something you have  such as a response code sent to a previously established landline telephone or cellphone which is returned to complete the authentication.
  • OAuth doesn't share password data but instead uses authorization tokens to prove an identity between clients and servers. OAuth is an authentication protocol that allows you to approve one application interacting with another on your behalf without giving away your password.

To really understand OAuth, do a Google search on "how does oauth authentication work".

Having worked in a university IT department, there is no way I would try to guess what they might be trying to do.

Butch
MS

Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:33 pm
So, here I am, trying to set up Pandora without a Google account, and it seems that no progress has been made since I last asked about it. I just posted on a different thread, and realized that I should have been here instead. Fingers crossed that a solution emerges soon!
Mark
butchkemper
butchkemper

Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:35 pm
MS wrote:So, here I am, trying to set up Pandora without a Google account, and it seems that no progress has been made since I last asked about it. I just posted on a different thread, and realized that I should have been here instead. Fingers crossed that a solution emerges soon!
Mark

Mark,

Look at the earlier posts in this thread for the message posted by Tony where he includes a quote from Brana about Pandora support for OAuth2 authentication for Outlook.

The Pandora Release 4.2 is expected in early October and perhaps the support will be included.

Butch
MS

Problems setting up with Outlook Empty OAuth2 for Office365 and Pandora 4.2

Thu Oct 13, 2022 3:00 am
Hi,

I've been waiting for the release of 4.2 in hopes it would allow me to connect with Office365. 4.2 just arrived and has been installed. However, the OAuth2 issue does not seem to have been solved. Pandora still sends me to log in with Google when I try to check mail.

Is there any update on when this might be fixed? Or if?

Thanks,
Mark
butchkemper
butchkemper

Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:22 am
MS wrote:Hi,

I've been waiting for the release of 4.2 in hopes it would allow me to connect with Office365. 4.2 just arrived and has been installed. However, the OAuth2 issue does not seem to have been solved. Pandora still sends me to log in with Google when I try to check mail.

Is there any update on when this might be fixed? Or if?

Thanks,
Mark

You need to send a bug report to Brana using the menu item Help | Send Feedback | Report a Bug.  That report will go straight to his mailbox.

Butch

MS likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Sat Dec 10, 2022 8:00 am
Unfortunately, it ain't gonna happen anytime soon. Should they decide to drop Cloud Partner Program as a requirement for multi-tenant client verification - Pandora supports Office365 OAuth2 the next day.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum