Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
KHP-444

Filters - how do I get them to work ? Empty Filters - how do I get them to work ?

Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:11 am
1) Disappointing is the Filter import function - it produces no useful filters

2) After I define a filter new - as described under the Filter section of the helpfile - I can hit the "Apply Filter" button, but the further action "all applicable" is greyed out, and no filter action is applied.
I tried this for a few mail filters, always the same result - what is the secret to make it work ?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Filters - how do I get them to work ? Empty Re: Filters - how do I get them to work ?

Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:57 pm
KHP-444 wrote:1) Disappointing is the Filter import function - it produces no useful filters

2) After I define a filter new - as described under the Filter section of the helpfile - I can hit the "Apply Filter" button, but the further action "all applicable" is greyed out, and no filter action is applied.
I tried this for a few mail filters, always the same result - what is the secret to make it work ?

I assume you imported the accounts and contacts before you imported the filters.

Open the Filters.xml file, highlight, copy, and paste the contents between the "slash code" delimiters.  The Filters.xml file is located in the Pandora/Mail directory.

The "slash code" delimiter is the 13th icon on the Post A Reply screen.  Hover the mouse pointer over each icon until you find the right one.

Perhaps having new eyes might help spot the problems.

Butch

KHP-444 likes this post

KHP-444

Filters - how do I get them to work ? Empty No Filters.xml File ....

Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:20 pm
Yes, I imported accounts and contacts before importing the filters fom Eudora.

I looked now for the Filters.xml file on my Pandora mail directory - I could not find this file in this directory !

But the handful of newly entered filters I made must be stored somewhere, because Pandora can list them. But they don't work - i.e. they do not make the "move action to the specified mailfolder".

KH
butchkemper
butchkemper

Filters - how do I get them to work ? Empty Re: Filters - how do I get them to work ?

Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:28 am
KHP-444 wrote:
Yes, I imported accounts and contacts before importing the filters fom Eudora.

I looked now for the Filters.xml file on my Pandora mail directory - I could not find this file in this directory !

But the handful of newly entered filters I made must be stored somewhere, because Pandora can list them. But they don't work - i.e. they do not make the "move action to the specified mailfolder".

KH

At the top of the main Pandora window, left+click on the first menu item Session.
A window will open and left+click on the first item Information.
A window will open titled Session Information.
The first item in the list is the User Data Folder: which is the path to the folder where Pandora keeps all user files.
The Filters.xml file will be found in this location.
Open the Filters.xml file, copy and paste all the filters between Code operatives.

Butch
KHP-444

Filters - how do I get them to work ? Empty After PC+Pandora restart, Filters.xml file visible

Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:14 am
After PC+Pandora restart, Filters.xml file now visible, and opened.

Which sequences should I copy where to make the filters work ?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:18 pm
KHP-444 wrote:After PC+Pandora restart, Filters.xml file now visible, and opened.

Which sequences should I copy where to make the filters work ?

Right now, let's see what the filters look like.  Open the Filters.xml file, select all, copy, and paste the file  here in the forum between the CODE tags.I need to see the whole file, first line to last line.

Butch
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:35 am
I imported about 2800 filters from Eudora to Pandora. A lot of them worked, but many didn't. Eventually found that Eudora allows a range of "special" (non-alphanumeric) characters in mailbox names that Pandora does not allow. Pandora mailbox names have to follow the Windows file naming rules, while Eudora allows additional characters in mailbox names that Pandora's importing witcher made a complete mess of (such as a Eudora mailbox named somewebsite.com would be migrated to a Pandora mailbox named somewebsitecom [without the period] and this played havoc with the importing witcher. I had hundreds of messed-up mailbox names and it took several months to fixing filters as I came across them. After that. all the filters seemed to work okay, for a year or so.

Then in the last few months I've been having filters fail, like you, and I've been pulling out my hair trying to fix them. Most of them are extremely simple filters that I've scrutinized carefully and I still can't determine why they fail. It's very frustrating and time-wasting.

I have several questions about filters that are not plain vanilla. What is the proper way to use the "Match Any" button (not explained anywhere)? And if you have a complex set of filtering rules I presume that you must keep the filters grouped together )adjacent) and have the "Skip Other Filters" button deselected for all but the last filter in the group (again, not explained anywhere).

We'll certainly have lots of documentation about filters and other things like this i our joint effort to set up the suggested Pandora Documentation wiki!

Last edited by Tony Austin on Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Filters - how do I get them to work ? Empty What is a systematic way to debug and correct misbehaving filters?

Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:51 am
Just like for Eudora, filters can go badly wrong in Pandora too. Some of us have hundreds or even thousands of filters, which can make finding and correcting a misbehaving filter extremely hard.

What would be a sequence of steps to follow to diagnose and fix filters that have gone haywire?
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum