Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
rick

Problems sending email Empty Problems sending email

Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:04 pm
Hello,

I am trying to figure out how to use Pandora.
I have imported all of my emails and accounts from Eudora.

I opened my Webmail and checked the username and password from each of my personalities in Pandora, ensured that all the emails and password were entered correctly in Pandora, and I was able to log on to the Webmail for each one of my personalities.
I have been able to receive a test e-mail sent to each one of my personalities.

Now I am trying to figure out how to send an e-mail.
Where is the send button to send an email?
I see a toolbar button for “send again”, and I see a toolbar button for “Send Queued” but I do not see a toolbar button for “send".
Is there a toolbar button available to “send” an e-mail?

The help file on composing Mail lists options located on the "Draft Bar", but I can't find this tool bar.
In the help file, I see: an icon of a red flag, "Change Queuing" - Change outgoing message status from Draft to Queued, or send right away. But where is the draft bar?
In the Message menu I see Queuing Ctrl+Shift+E.
Is this the method that is to be used for sending a message?
I used this method to send a test message and Pandora tried to send the message.

When I try to send a mail, the log says:
Task: Sending 'test-10:55 AM' [<Dominant>]
Task: Sending 'test-10:55 AM' [<Dominant>]
Details: Host not found. Error getting network address for 'smptauth.earthlink.com' via port 465.
Completed: 2 %
Time: 2/5/2023 12:00:47 PM

Next :
I right clicked over the personality dominant, and I clicked on the option for test:
The log displays the same message as I listed for the sending.

By the way, I copied the outgoing mail address from my installation of Eudora, to be sure that it is typed correctly.

I opened up the properties of dominant, these are the Pandora settings from the Section “sending mail”:

Personality name : dominant
E-mail address: is the e-mail address that I'm trying to use
username: is the e-mail address that I am trying to use
password: is correct, I have checked it already with Webmail using the password and the e-mail address listed above
SMTP server: smptauth.earthlink.com
Authentication: basic
secure sockets when sending: always (TLS/SSL)
port: 465
Relay personality: none
Include on global send is checked

-----------------------------------------
I right clicked over dominant, and I picked test, this is the result:
Task: Testing <Dominant>
Details: Host not found. Error getting network address for 'smptauth.earthlink.com' via port 465.
Completed: 2 %
Time: 2/5/2023 11:34:53 AM

Do you think there may be a problem with the port number?
If it matters, Eudora used port 587.

I use EarthLink for my e-mail.
If it would be helpful for you I created a email address for testing this problem.
https://webmail1.earthlink.net/login
59106@earthlink.net
Password: Pandora1

Thanks for the help

Rick
JeremyNicoll
JeremyNicoll

Problems sending email Empty Re: Problems sending email

Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:31 pm
Error getting network address for 'smptauth.earthlink.com'

means that the part of Pandora (or the OS) that looks up that server name to convert it to an IP address (eg: 51.81.61.13) which is what programs actually use when communicating with servers, failed to find the IP address. Sometimes that's a fault in the looking-up mechanism, and sometimes a fault with the DNS servers where the name / IP address info is stored, but usually it means you've mistyped the server name.

My first thought was that you mistyped the name - look closely - you typed s m p t ...   but it's certain that it should have been  s  m  t  p  ... because that stands for "Simple Mail Transfer Protocol" which is what the mail-sending discussion between your PC and the server uses.

But it's more complicated than that because I can't find the corrected 'smtpauth.earthlink.com'' either.

Google suggests that maybe it should really be: smtpauth.earthlink.net

What did Eudora use?  I'm guessing you didn't copy & paste its value?

rick likes this post

rick

Problems sending email Empty I determined the proper authentication settings

Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:36 am
Hello Jeremy,

Thanks for helping me with trouble shooting my problem with sending mail.
I am using Eudora  version 7.1.0.9

You are quite the detective!
You have helped me to find several problems.

When I imported my emails from Eudora, for some reason the dominant personality was created, however  the credentials were incomplete, so I had to type in the credentials.

Ordinarily I would copy and paste things like this, however, as you have deduced, for some reason I typed in the credentials, and when I did  I made two mistakes.
The first mistake you picked up on where I transposed part of the SMTP server name, and the second problem  was  the domain is .net, not.com

So the SMTP Server is: smtpauth.earthlink.net.
Now I have corrected the address for the SMTP server
So I sent a test email and I get the same error : Connection with server 'smtpauth.earthlink.net' was not established. Error #: 10060

The authentication settings are:
Authentication  is  basic
Secure socket when sending is Always (TLS/SSL)
The port is 465
for the purposes of this test, I changed the port from 465 to 587
now when I tried to send an e-mail, the error message is:
Task: Sending 'Test  send from Dominant (rickx) to Dominant (rickx)  changed port from 465 to
587' [<Dominant>]
Details: Connection with host server 'smtpauth.earthlink.net' established successfully. Round-trip time: 94 ms.
 ---------
It appears using port 587 allows  Pandora to find the SMPT server, but  pandora will not send a mail.
I found that if I use these settings, Pandora will check the mail:
Authentication: basic
Secure sockets when sending: if available (STARTTLS)
port 587.

Any idea what the authentication settings should be?

At least now I can send and receive mail.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this problem.

Rick

rick likes this post

Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:12 pm
It's great to see members of the Pandora user community interacting helpfully like this!

rick likes this post

JeremyNicoll
JeremyNicoll

Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:01 pm
According to: https://getmailspring.com/setup/access-earthlink-net-via-imap-smtp (though I do not know if this is the right place to look)

the SMTP server authentication you need to use is:

Earthlink.net (EarthLink) SMTP Server smtpauth.earthlink.net
SMTP port 587
SMTP security STARTTLS
SMTP username Your full email address
SMTP password Your Earthlink.net password

It's worth pointing out that "STARTTLS" is not the same thing as "TLS/SSL"; some email clients use even vaguer descriptions of the options here, just saying eg "SSL" or "TLS".

I presume that Pandora logs the traffic between it and a server somewhere? The error message you see in the GUI (if that's what you've been quoting) may not be as detailed as what a log would show. If there's a (more detailed?) log, I'd suggest you look closely at what it shows for each experiment you make. Sometimes email client logs get overwritten on each run so if you want to preserve a log you need to copy it after each run before the next run - I don't know what Pandora does. I also don't know if Pandora allows you to set a level of detail for logging - again, some email clients do - you'd want the most detailed info at least while trying to solve this issue, but probably want to reduce that later.

Unfortunately I do not use Pandora; I'm only here because it's my usual habit when considering using a program in future to lurk on its forum for a while to see what community support is like.

rick likes this post

JeremyNicoll
JeremyNicoll

Sat Feb 11, 2023 6:24 pm
Oh, I also found Earthlink's help pages. See: https://help.earthlink.net/portal/en/kb/articles/email-server-settings
and if you're trying to login to one of their MANY other servers: https://help.earthlink.net/portal/en/kb/articles/earthlink-email-and-server-settings-by-domain-name

For actual client setup, they have advice for a fair number of popular email clients. Sometimes it's useful to glance at those to see how other clients' account-setup options describe the fields that need certain values in them, even if (inevitably) Pandora is not one of those described. Those possibly helpful examples are at: https://help.earthlink.net/portal/en/kb/articles/setting-up-your-email-program

rick likes this post

rick

Problems sending email Empty I was able to get Pandora to send and receive mail

Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:27 pm
Thanks to the wonderful advice from Jeremy, I was able find and repair my “self inflicted “ problems with my Pandora setup.
I have been able to configure Pandora to send mail, and check for new mail.

Tony,
I agree with you whole heartedly, it is a pleasure to have other users that are so helpful!

Thanks again for the help.

Rick
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum