Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
curmudgeon

Problems retrieving mail. Empty Problems retrieving mail.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:42 pm
I have been running Pandora 3.8 since its release with no problems. Now suddenly I cannot retrieve my mail.  The process starts and hangs with the message "Host found. Network address for 'mail.comcast.net' obtained." Occasionally if I leave it set there for 4-5 minutes it will suddenly finish the process and retrieve the mail. There is no problem viewing the mail if I sign on to Comcast directly so that end of the process seams clear. I am using POP and retrieving on port 995 and sending on port 465. Any suggestions to clear the problem? (alternate e-mail: oedipusrex1934@gmail.com )

Ray
butchkemper
butchkemper

Problems retrieving mail. Empty Re: Problems retrieving mail.

Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:52 pm
curmudgeon wrote:I have been running Pandora 3.8 since its release with no problems. Now suddenly I cannot retrieve my mail.  The process starts and hangs with the message "Host found. Network address for 'mail.comcast.net' obtained." Occasionally if I leave it set there for 4-5 minutes it will suddenly finish the process and retrieve the mail. There is no problem viewing the mail if I sign on to Comcast directly so that end of the process seams clear. I am using POP and retrieving on port 995 and sending on port 465. Any suggestions to clear the problem? (alternate e-mail: oedipusrex1934@gmail.com )

Ray
In order to make suggestions, additional information is needed:

• How many Personalities are being checked?
  • If more than one Personality is configured, does this problem happen to all Personality or just one?
  • Open the Personality experiencing the problem and answer these questions about the configuration.:

• Personality Name
    • Real name
    • E-mail Address
    • User Name
    • Click on Checking Mail
    • POP Server:
    • Account type
    • Authentication
    • Secure Sockets when Receiving
    • Port

• Is there any information in the Log window?
  • Are there any problems sending mail?

Have your checked the vendor website to insure you are using the correct configuration parameters?  What is the URL for the vendor website?

I looked at Comcast website for Email configuration information.  Other than pushing IMAP very hard, they also specified that POP server name is pop3.comcast.net and not mail.comcast.net as you specified earlier.  Try changing that name.

Using the command dig, I found that mail.comcast.net and pop3.comcast.net both are a cname for  imap.ge.xfinity.com.  However, the list of IP addresses returned is not identical.  That leads me to conclude there is a large pool of machines that to interface to the Mail System.  There could be a problem with one or more of the machines.

I think Comcast may have Mail System problems.  Let's see what information your answers provide and maybe there is a solution.

Butch
curmudgeon

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:08 pm
Butch,
Thanks for your response. The issue has resolved itself and I believe it was within Pandora itself based on my subsequent observation.

I started Pandora and tried to retrieve my mail (3 personalities) as I normally do. It started and hung at 3% with the log message "Host found. Network address for 'mail.comcast.net' obtained." I the let it sit there for about 10 minutes when it suddenly downloaded the mail and immediately began indexing fast search which ran for a full minute or two. Whether the pending indexing was causing the issue or not I don’t know. The fast search index is set for after 10 minutes of inactivity but I tend to shut Pandora down as soon as I retrieve the mail so there may have been some sort of conflict. I normally see the sorting (red bar) alternating during download (blue bar) but recently I have not noticed it working that way.

Ray
butchkemper
butchkemper

Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:08 pm
curmudgeon wrote:Butch,
Thanks for your response. The issue has resolved itself and I believe it was within Pandora itself based on my subsequent observation.

I started Pandora and tried to retrieve my mail (3 personalities) as I normally do. It started and hung at 3% with the log message "Host found. Network address for 'mail.comcast.net' obtained." I the let it sit there for about 10 minutes when it suddenly downloaded the mail and immediately began indexing fast search which ran for a full minute or two. Whether the pending indexing was causing the issue or not I don’t know. The fast search index is set for after 10 minutes of inactivity but I tend to shut Pandora down as soon as I retrieve the mail so there may have been some sort of conflict. I normally see the sorting (red bar) alternating during download (blue bar) but recently I have not noticed it working that way.

Ray

I sometimes, once a month or so, encounter a problem downloading mail where Pandora hangs multiple Personalities during a Check Mail.  When this happens, I open the Tasks window, and on each Personality, I right-click, select Stop, and left-click.  This causes each task to stop and then I left-click on Check Mail.  Mail from all Personalities is downloaded as if there was no previous problem.

Butch
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum