Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Fliphmds

Filter Report Empty Filter Report

Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:58 pm
Anybody know how to get a Filter Report? I tried to click on Filter Report on the View tab and a window opens up but there is no report or list.
Even filtered several messages manually and went to see a Report, and nothing there.
What am I messing? Any ideas??
Thanks
Frank
butchkemper
butchkemper

Filter Report Empty Re: Filter Report

Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:28 pm
Fliphmds wrote:Anybody know how to get a Filter Report? I tried to click on Filter Report on the View tab and a window opens up but there is no report or list.
Even filtered several messages manually and went to see a Report, and nothing there.
What am I messing? Any ideas??
Thanks
Frank  
Frank,

The first step to get a Filter Report is to edit the rule Action section, Record the Event item, and left+click on Add to Filter Report.  This will add an entry in the Filter Report every time the rule is activate during message processing.  In the same place, left+click on Log the Event to add an entry in the Log.

View the Filter Report by left+click on the Menu item View and then left+click on Filter Report.  Alternately, crtl+shift+F10 will open the Filter Report.

View the Log by left+click on the Menu item View and then left+click on Log.  Alternately, crtl+F11 will open the Log.

I highly recommend reading through the Help section even though the information is sparse.  Also, read through all the General settings, and the shift+left+click General complete additional settings.  Also, go through all the Filter settings and options.  You never know when you may need something that you remember seeing.  Or, you may see an option to alter the way something behaves.

Butch
Fliphmds

Fri Jun 16, 2023 10:55 pm
Thanks, I'll do that. I did read all the documentation and even did a search on Filter Report in Help. It only tells you how to make/change filters. I also looked thru the General settings very carefully and could find nothing. Before posting on this forum I also did a search on 'Filter report' and only issues with making/changing/running filters came up.
Is there some way your response (very helpful) could be incorporated in the help screen? or does Brana have to do that?
Fliphmds

Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:13 pm
2 Questions:
How do I 'edit' the action button?
and...more importantly...
I inadvertently hit the LOCK button under Action and now it wants my password to unlock. But I forgot my Pandora PW! So how can I retrieve it? Is it in the cfg file? or should I reload from a backup?
Thanks
Frank
Fliphmds

Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:25 pm
I found my PW, so no help needed there... but 'rules action' ?? Tried search in help but nothing found.
Thanks
Frank
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:52 am
Fliphmds wrote:2 Questions:
How do I 'edit' the action button?
and...more importantly...
I inadvertently hit the LOCK button under Action and now it wants my password to unlock. But I forgot my Pandora PW! So how can I retrieve it? Is it in the cfg file? or should I reload from a backup?
Thanks
Frank
Frank,

Changing a filter is quite simple:
  • Open the Filter window,
  • Select the filter you want to change by left+click on it,
  • Switch between the Criteria and Action sections by clicking on Criteria or Action.
  • Make the changes,
  • Save the changes by using crtl+s.

The password being requested is the password for the Dominant  Personality email.

Butch
Fliphmds

Mon Jun 19, 2023 9:58 pm
Ok, I went in and changed the "action" for more than a dozen filters. I clicked on "Log Event" and "add to filter report".

Have downloaded many emails that use filters. Here is what has happened. If I look at the recent log events it shows the messages that got filtered - all looks good. But if I request a "filter report' from the View tab... there is nothing in the report
What am I missing?
Ideas??
Thanks
Frank
butchkemper
butchkemper

Tue Jun 20, 2023 8:41 pm
Fliphmds wrote:Ok, I went in and changed the "action" for more than a dozen filters. I clicked on "Log Event" and "add to filter report".

Have downloaded many emails that use filters. Here is what has happened. If I look at the recent log events it shows the messages that got filtered - all looks good. But if I request a "filter report' from the View tab... there is nothing in the report
What am I missing?
Ideas??
Thanks
Frank
Frank,

On the Filter page in the Action section, near the bottom is the Record the Event setting with with two options:
  • Log the Event - add an entry to the Log when the Filter is activated.
  • Add to Filter Report - adds an entry to the Filter Report when the Filter is activated.

The log and report entries only occur when the Filter Criteria results are true for a message and the Filter Action contains a log or report option.  
Look at the Filters left window pane and examine the filters in question.  The Filter line should show:
  • A red triangle icon which means this Filter is an automatic type and is invoked on any Incoming messages.
  • A blue triangle which means this Filtter is an automatic type and is invoked on any outgoing messages.
  • A hand icon which means the Filter is a manual type that is invoked from the Message Menu or Crtl+Y against active/selected messages.
  • These options are added to the selected Filter by clicking on the appropriate Filter Type Icon in Filters right window pane.
  • A Filter may have multiple types.

At the bottom of the Filter Report, are four clickable items:
  • A time frame which selects when the processing time for messages to be included in the report.
  • Incoming filtered messages are included in the report.
  • Outgoing filtered messages are included in the report.
  • Manual filtered messages are included in the report.
  • Add multiple message types to the report by Crtl+click.

The Filter Report only includes the mailbox name, count of filtered message, and a time stamp for when the filter action occurred.

After you make a filter change, be sure to save the filters with a Crtl+S

Butch
JeremyNicoll
JeremyNicoll

Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:01 am
[quote="butchkemper"
The log and report entries only occur when the [b]Filter Criteria[/b] results are true for a message and...
[/quote]

That's a pity because knowing that a filter has been used but results were not true is also useful. It helps eg to narrow down issues with
the "stop" option not being coded when it should have been (or vv).

Moreover if a filter tests several things ANDed or ORed together, it's helpful to know which parts of the filter tests were true and which false.

If the filter did any pattern matching it's also helpful to see the exact value that it matched. Do the logs/reports show any of those things?
Fliphmds

Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:04 pm
It would be nice to have some kind of filter trace routine as it downloads mail. I have about 75 filters and I am sure some are 'stepping' on others. Or maybe just a tool to sort filters on destination mailbox and/or by sender. Pandora is a great mail tool but there is always ways to make it even better. Maybe 'next release'...

TheDucks likes this post

Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Wed Jun 21, 2023 7:47 pm
Log processed but not matched filters can be a switch, say under Settings/Logging.
Log pane will be filled quickly so perhaps another option for dedicated log-file just for that.
Also, that type of log would probably call for a different text layout, where you have a message info fist and all processed filters below.

Regarding "log matched criteria", I can add that. Keep in mind - that would be 1st matching criteria only.

Fliphmds likes this post

butchkemper
butchkemper

Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:07 pm
Fliphmds wrote:It would be nice to have some kind of filter trace routine as it downloads mail. I have about 75 filters and I am sure some are 'stepping' on others. Or maybe just a tool to sort filters on destination mailbox and/or by sender. Pandora is a great mail tool but there is always ways to make it even better. Maybe 'next release'...

Here are some thoughts on filters
  • You can "sort" filters using "drag n drop" to change the processing sequence.
  • In normal situations, every filter should have the Stop Processing option enabled.  Scan the filters in Filter window left pane looking for the red stop sign.
  • Multiple filters moving messages based on email address into the same mailbox can be combines into a single filter by placing the additional email address comparisons into the Additional Criteria section. Use the Add as New Additional Criteria to place the Basic Criteria into the Additional Criteria section.  Use the Swap with Basic Criteria to swap highlighted Additional Criteria with Basic Criteria.
  • To place a message into two mailboxes,  set both the Copy to option and the Move to option each with the appropriate destination mailbox.

Butch
Fliphmds

Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:55 pm
Dedicated log file for filters sounds good.
Thanks
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:58 pm
Processed filters can be logged now (version 5.5). Switches are under Settings/Background Tasks/Logging.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum