Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Mad Dog

UAC Warning on start-up Empty UAC Warning on start-up

Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:45 am
I'm working on shifting to Pandora but each time I start up the program I get an annoying UAC Warning about it being from an unknown publisher. It's a pain to have to click through that every time. I'm on Windows 10 and I've tried starting it as an Administrator but that didn't help.

How do I get around this?

Thanks!
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

UAC Warning on start-up Empty Re: UAC Warning on start-up

Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:20 am
Assuming you do not want to turn off UAC notifications (Never notify). If so, you can just stop MailboxCat service:
Start Pandora, go to Settings/Background Tasks
Fast Search Indexing Service - Stop
OK
JeremyNicoll
JeremyNicoll

Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:25 am
If you right-click the .exe that's causing the warning, then select Properties, then click Unblock, then OK, the flag that's set on the .exe saying it came from somewhere unknown will be cleared away from it. I do this with every .exe (etc) that I download.
Mad Dog

Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:47 pm
JeremyNicoll wrote:If you right-click the .exe that's causing the warning, then select Properties, then click Unblock, then OK, the flag that's set on the .exe saying it came from somewhere unknown will be cleared away from it.  I do this with every .exe (etc) that I download.

Where is "Unblock"? I don't see it in my properties. Is this a native Windows function?
Mad Dog

Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:52 pm
Admin wrote:Assuming you do not want to turn off UAC notifications (Never notify). If so, you can just stop MailboxCat service:
Start Pandora, go to Settings/Background Tasks
Fast Search Indexing Service - Stop
OK

I don't want to turn off all UAC notifications, just this one. Stopping MailboxCat didn't stop it. The notification says it's "pandora.exe" that's triggering the warning.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:08 pm
Right, here is one way around the issue:
How to Eliminate UAC Prompts for Specific Applications
Mad Dog

Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:23 pm
Admin wrote:Right, here is one way around the issue:
How to Eliminate UAC Prompts for Specific Applications

Thanks. I'd seen that but was waiting to see if there was a simpler way.
JeremyNicoll
JeremyNicoll

Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:35 pm
The "Unblock" option in File Explorer's Properties display has been part of Windows for as long as I've used it ... but (for me) that's only up to Windows 8.1.  If Windows 10 or 11 don't have it, I wouldn't know.  Ah, google says it does still have it...  See:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5357-unblock-file-windows-10-a.html
Mad Dog

Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:26 pm
JeremyNicoll wrote:The "Unblock" option in File Explorer's Properties display has been part of Windows for as long as I've used it ... but (for me) that's only up to Windows 8.1.  If Windows 10 or 11 don't have it, I wouldn't know.  Ah, google says it does still have it...  See:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5357-unblock-file-windows-10-a.html

None of those worked. Or anything else I've searched and found.

I experimented and found something but I'm not sure which way to go. I had it Running as an Administrator and I get the UAC with "Program Author Unkown" message. If I DON'T run it as an administrator it opens fine but I get the Pandora warning that "Some of the Settings related to Windows integration may not be available."

Should I be able to run it as an administrator or should I just leave that off?

THANKS!
Admin
Admin
Admin

Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:08 am
Of course, it's your desktop mail app, if you can - run it as Admin. If however you are dealing with office environment, restricted access etc., a little bit is better than nada.
Mad Dog

Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:21 pm
Admin wrote:Of course, it's your desktop mail app, if you can - run it as Admin. If however you are dealing with office environment, restricted access etc., a little bit is better than nada.

It's just me, no office, but this is odd. Am I the only one who has this problem and it's something locally?

I'm signed into Windows and my account is an admin account. I have "Run as Admin" checked in properties for pandora.exe (and the shortcut). When I open the program I get the alert that it's an "Unknown Publisher" and have to click through. I set up Pandora as my Mailto account and that works if I click a link but it opens that same Unknown Publisher alert box that I have to click through. It's a real PITA. I assume it's something locally or I would think everyone would mention it.

Any thoughts?

THANKS~

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum