Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Harry

Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality' Empty Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality'

Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:53 am
The Pandora screen is locked and nonfunctional and displays a Yellow 'note' dialog box  with text "blah blah..."   and it demands a "'Password for Dominant Personality".

But I never set a password for Pandora...

So how do I attach a .jpg screen shot of the problem to a forum post?

Should I uninstall  and reinstall Pandora?

How did this happen???

Appreciate any advice.

-Harry

Last edited by Harry on Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : enlargement)
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality' Empty Re: Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality'

Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:07 pm
Let me post an image to show how it's done:

Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality' Pandor31

------------------
Also, I just located these under FAQ (above, in the forum toolbar), under "Formatting and Topic Types" amd then "Can I post Images?" as follows:

You can easily insert images inside your topics and posts. To do this, you have two options in the editor: the first is a button to host an image from your device (computer or smartphone). The second is a button to insert an image by entering its web address (URL). You can also use the BBCode tag [IMG] or the appropriate HTML tags (if you are allowed to do so).

The ability to host images is offered natively and for free on all Forumotion forums via our image host partner Servimg. To use this service, all you have to do is click on the "Host an image" button in the editor.

Harry likes this post

Harry

Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality' Empty Re: Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality'

Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:24 pm
Ok, I tried "hosting" the image of the error message and then "inserting":

Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality' Pandor11

[img]url=https://servimg.com/view/20416902/2]Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality' Pandor11[/url[/img]

This is weird. Is there a way to simply attach a jpg like in Eudora?

And PS my Pandora is still locked looking for a password that I did not set.

How can I get around this Pandora lockup? Revert to Eudora that never in 20+ years did anything like this???

butchkemper
butchkemper

Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:49 pm
Harry wrote:The Pandora screen is locked and nonfunctional and displays a Yellow 'note' dialog box  with text "blah blah..."   and it demands a "'Password for Dominant Personality".

How did this happen???

Appreciate any advice.

-Harry

Reinstalling Pandora is very rarely a solution.

You have set the option Settings | General | Security | General that will Auto-lock the main window after xxx minute(s) of user inactivity.  Enter the password from the <Dominant> Personality configuration - the password associated with the email account - to unlock the screen.

Butch
Harry

Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:05 pm
Well, entering the server password associated with the email account worked. THANKS!

Of course I hurried over to settings as soon as I had access after entering the password, but, darn it, the settings/general/security "Auto-lock the main window" was NOT checked, so it's a mystery why it locked in the first place.

At least, thanks to you, I now know how to unlock if it happens again. (and it will lock again I'm sure... )

Butch wrote:
You have set the option Settings | General | Security | General that will Auto-lock the main window after xxx minute(s) of user inactivity. Enter the password from the <Dominant> Personality configuration - the password associated with the email account - to unlock the screen.

Butch
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:02 am
Harry, Pandora has an INI file similar to Eudora's (as well ad various XML files for filters, etc). These can be manually edited, with Pandora not running of course.

If you had gone there you could have changed AutoLock=1 to AutoLock=0 and then launched Pandora in an unlocked state:

Pandora Locked - wants 'Password for Dominant Personality' Pandor32

By the way, in generating these images I found that Pandora had locked up, and had to kill it (before following thew above  procedure of setting AutoLock=0) and can indeed appreciate that it's an extremely uncomfortable (or even nasty) position to find yourself in. So perhaps Brana should add something that helps users to easily extricate themselves from the lock-in.
Harry

Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:02 am
Tony, thank you for the clear instructions for setting Autolock to null in the ini file. I would not have thought of that.

The crazy thing is, I did not have the Autolock set, so it's a mystery why that happened. Maybe a bug? After I had access to Settings again I immediately checked and the Autolock box is not checked.

And I just searched my Pandora.ini and there is *no line* for Autolock at all. This gets stranger and stranger. Maybe if I dare to add Autolock=0 to Pandora.ini that would prevent this from again occurring. Or maybe the default is no Autolock and in that case the line does not exist. I'm a hardware guy, not a coder, so this is uncomfortable territory for me. Maybe I should check the settings box, save, then uncheck and see if that adds the Autolock=0 line.

Surprising that Pandora locked on you also.

Thanks again! -Harry
butchkemper
butchkemper

Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:23 am
Harry wrote:Tony, thank you for the clear instructions for setting Autolock to null in the ini file. I would not have thought of that.

The crazy thing is, I did not have the Autolock set, so it's a mystery why that happened. Maybe a bug? After I had access to Settings again I immediately checked and the Autolock box is not checked.

And I just searched my Pandora.ini and there is *no line* for Autolock at all. This gets stranger and stranger. Maybe if I dare to add Autolock=0 to Pandora.ini that would prevent this from again occurring. Or maybe the default is no Autolock and in that case the line does not exist. I'm a hardware guy, not a coder, so this is uncomfortable territory for me. Maybe I should check the settings box, save, then uncheck and see if that adds the Autolock=0 line.

Surprising that Pandora locked on you also.

Thanks again!  -Harry

Harry,

I just looked at Pandora.ini on my system and I have a statement "AutoLock=0".  I do not know if it was there previously but when I was helping you, I enabled AutoLock.  After I was through with the test, I disabled AutoLock by deselecting the option.

I think adding AutoLock=0 would not cause any problems.

Butch
butchkemper
butchkemper

Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:04 am
Harry wrote:The Pandora screen is locked and nonfunctional and displays a Yellow 'note' dialog box  with text "blah blah..."   and it demands a "'Password for Dominant Personality".

How did this happen???

Appreciate any advice.

-Harry

Harry,

I was looking for something else and found if you left+click on the menu item Action, select the last item Lock, and then left+click, the Pandora window will become locked and the <Dominant> Personality password must be entered to unlock the screen.  This is how you must have inadvertently Locked Pandora without checking the Settings option.

Butch
Harry

Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:16 pm
Butch - thank you - that must be what I accidentally did. -Harry
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum