Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
rick

Install Pandora  with data on a separate drive is there a portable version of Pandora? Empty Install Pandora with data on a separate drive is there a portable version of Pandora?

Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:39 pm
Hello,

Normally I work on a desk top computer.
I use Drobox to keep my datafiles synchronized between my desktop and laptop.
I keep all of my data files in the Dropbox folder.

When I need to travel, I turn on my laptop and allow Dropbox to synchronize it's folder. So, when I travel the data on my laptop is up to date.
Will I have a problem with Pandora if I install the program on my C drive and Install the data into a folder on a separate drive?

Does Pandora have a portable version? This would solve my problems.

Thanks

Rick

butchkemper
butchkemper

Install Pandora  with data on a separate drive is there a portable version of Pandora? Empty Re: Install Pandora with data on a separate drive is there a portable version of Pandora?

Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:26 pm
rick wrote:Hello,

Normally I work  on a desk top computer.
I use Drobox to keep my datafiles synchronized between my desktop and laptop.
I keep all of my data files in the Dropbox folder.

When I need to travel, I turn on my laptop and allow Dropbox to synchronize it's folder. So, when I travel the data on my laptop is up to date.
Will I have a problem with Pandora if I install  the program on my C drive and Install the data into a folder on a separate drive?

Does Pandora have a portable version? This would solve my problems.

Thanks

Rick

I know of only one Pandora program, so I think the answer is "No, there is not a portable version".  I am not sure how a portable version of the Pandora program would differ from a non-portable version.

On my machine, the Pandora program is installed on a SSD in C:\Program Files\Pandora.  The data directory is located on a rotating, rust drive in E:\Users\butch\Documents\Pandora\Mail\ and I do not have any problems.  It seems that locating the Pandora data folder in Dropbox is no different than what I am doing.  Just make sure that Dropbox is allowed to fully synchronize the folder before starting Pandora  - of course, you know that.   Smile

Good luck,

Butch
rick

Install Pandora  with data on a separate drive is there a portable version of Pandora? Empty Re: Install Pandora with data on a separate drive is there a portable version of Pandora?

Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:17 pm
Hello Butch,

Portable programs store their settings in the same folder where their executable file resides. So you can copy the program to portable drive and run the program on any computer.
Installed programs store their settings in the windows registry. So you cant copy the program to a removable drive and run it on any computer.

Most of the simple utilities I use are portable, and I store them in my drobox folder. When I update the program, the updates are automatically propagated to all of my computes, when Dropbox updates. This way I only need to install an update once, instead of gong to each computer and installing the update.

I think you are right about storing the data for Pandora in a folder that is syncronised by Dropbox. I don't think there will be a problem.

I will install Pandora today and give it a try.

Thanks

Rick

markp likes this post

butchkemper
butchkemper

Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:24 am
rick wrote:
Portable programs store their settings in the same folder where their executable file resides. So you can  copy the program to  portable drive and run the program on any computer.
Installed programs store their settings in the windows registry. So you cant copy the program to a removable drive and run it on any computer.

Thank you for the information on portable programs.  If you run into any problems with Pandora or have any questions, do not hesitate to contact me at Butch Kemper <butch@kemperfamily.us> or here on the forum.

Regards,

Butch
JeremyNicoll
JeremyNicoll

Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:22 pm
[quote="rick"]
Portable programs store their settings in the same folder where their executable file resides. So you can  copy the program to  portable drive and run the program on any computer.
[/quote]

That's an over-simplification. Suppose a portable application needs to set up file associations, context menu entries etc while it's running? How can they do that without making registry changes?

There are many programs that are not designed to be portable that nevertheless exist in portable forms, notably the more than 400 applications supported by https://portableapps.com/ (and for all I know, maybe other similar collections too).

WIth those, each basic application lives perhaps on an external drive, but like you I keep mine in a Dropbox folder, and also benefit from the "install once, use on many machines" aspect. However when one starts such an application a front-end process makes a safety copy of registry entries etc that are needed to support a 'properly installed' version of such a program (and might copy the contents of resource folders etc too), then places in the registry etc definitions needed by the 'portable' app, then runs it, and afterwards undoes all of that. That's needed so that a 'portable' copy of an app (eg used by a tech trying to fix an issue on a PC) doesn't conflict with the PC owner's own version of the same application. It's necessary that, for example, anyone using the "save options" button inside such an app doesn't overwrite the owner's own settings.
[/quote]
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum