Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
KHP-444

Erratic behaviour of Filters Empty Erratic behaviour of Filters

Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:08 am
When I tried again to use Filters in Pandora one week ago, after multpiple futile attempts last summer, suddenly I could actually define new Filters, it let me click on "apply filters", and on first look filtering seemed to work now.
I assumed this could be due to a Pandora software update in the meantime.

However, next day I discovered first that I could not continue to define filters. Only after I restartet the PC (I am using Win10 with the 22H2 update) and Pandora (as usual in administrator mode) it accepted filter entries again.

But when I applied filtering, and looked what Pandora did with the Filters, I realised that only 2 of 27 Filters where working correctly and delivered the mails  with defined sender address into the corresponding mailbox.
All the other mails which where supposed to be filtered in the corresponding mailboxes as defined per filter, were dumped into the last mailbox which was succesfully used by a filter.

What is the problem here, what could I try further ?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Erratic behaviour of Filters Empty Re: Erratic behaviour of Filters

Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:46 am
KHP-444 wrote:When I tried again to use Filters in Pandora one week ago, after multpiple futile attempts last summer, suddenly I could actually define new Filters, it let me click on "apply filters", and on first look filtering seemed to work now.
I assumed this could be due to a Pandora software update in the meantime.

However, next day I discovered first that I could not continue to define filters. Only after I restartet the PC (I am using Win10 with the 22H2 update) and Pandora (as usual in administrator mode) it accepted filter entries again.

But when I applied filtering, and looked what Pandora did with the Filters, I realised that only 2 of 27 Filters where working correctly and delivered the mails  with defined sender address into the corresponding mailbox.
All the other mails which where supposed to be filtered in the corresponding mailboxes as defined per filter, were dumped into the last mailbox which was succesfully used by a filter.

What is the problem here, what could I try further ?

First of all,  only run Pandora in Administrator mode when the Installer module is executed.  Administrator mode is not needed for normal operations.

The only times I have had problems with filters failing to work properly have always been problems created by my fat fingers.

Concerning the Filters, I would suggest a methodical approach to implementing and testing new filters.  By that I mean, install, debug, test, and make sure a single filter is operating correctly before proceeding to the next one.

One thing I discovered in the Basic Criteria section the symbol A>a adds an option to the filter so that upper and lower case characters compare equally, ie, a big B compares equal to a little b.

The Help section has an entry on filters which contain some helpful information.

Be sure to end each filter with the Action of  Skip Other Filters  Otherwise the message will be processed through the next filter.

Good luck and if you are still stuck, post the filters.xml file between Code tags so they can be reviewed.

Butch
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Mon Dec 12, 2022 11:56 pm
Actually it turns out (from forum posts in mid-December 2022, Pandora version 4.4.0.1) that you DO need to launch Pandora in Administrator mode if you want the MailboxCat message indexer service to run.

When you go to Settings > Background Tasks the "Fast Search Indexing Service" stop/Start toggle button does not work if you don't have Administrator privileges -- at least that's my current understanding (and I stand to be corrected).
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum