Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
kenny

selecting text in messages: inconsistent behaviour Empty selecting text in messages: inconsistent behaviour

Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:23 pm
Sometimes I can select text in draft or received messages, sometimes I can't. Is there any way to enable to this consistently?

Running 4.6.0.1 under Win 11

Ta
butchkemper
butchkemper

selecting text in messages: inconsistent behaviour Empty Re: selecting text in messages: inconsistent behaviour

Fri Feb 17, 2023 2:28 am
kenny wrote:Sometimes I can select text in draft or received messages, sometimes I can't. Is there any way to enable to this consistently?

Running 4.6.0.1 under Win 11

Ta
Kenny,

I am not aware of any Pandora setting or option that deals with selecting text in messages.

Please give information and examples that will provide more information to help us understand the problem and the conditions when it occurs.  

The only problem that I have with selecting text is sometimes when I left+click+drag, I end up highlighting more text than I intended.  This is primarily in received messages.  Other than that, I do not have a problem with selecting text.

Butch
kenny

selecting text in messages: inconsistent behaviour Empty Re: selecting text in messages: inconsistent behaviour

Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:06 am
Thanks for your reply. It's quite simple: sometimes clicking left and moving the mouse selects the message text; sometimes it doesn't .

Equally, double clicking on text sometimes selects, and sometimes doesn't.

There's no recognisable pattern to when this occurs (eg I tried to distinguish between drafts, sent mails, mails received).

This is only seen in Pandora. This also occurred on the previous installation on my old laptop.

edit: I just noticed the cut and copy icons on the menu bar are greyed out when this happens...
butchkemper
butchkemper

Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:51 pm
kenny wrote:Thanks for your reply. It's quite simple: sometimes clicking left and moving the mouse selects the message text; sometimes it doesn't .

Equally, double clicking on text sometimes selects, and sometimes doesn't.

There's no recognisable pattern to when this occurs (eg I tried to distinguish between drafts, sent mails, mails received).

This is only seen in Pandora. This also occurred on the previous installation on my old laptop.

edit: I just noticed the cut and copy icons on the menu bar are greyed out when this happens...

Kenny,

Some questions to ponder - sorry for no actual help:
  • Does closing and then reopening the message eliminate the problem?
  • Does an immediate Pandora restart eliminate the problem?
  • If an immediate Pandora restart eliminates the problem, how long until the problem returns?
  • Does a Windows restart eliminate the problem?
  • If a Windows restart eliminates the problem, how long until the problem returns?
  • Are the cut and copy icons always greyed out when the problem occurs?
  • Is the W11 installation current on installation of fixes?

I once chased what I thought was a Pandora problem for over a year until I discovered an obscure Windows bug causing the problem.  I had the desktop background picture automatically changing every 10 minutes which caused a Windows memory leak which caused Pandora to be very slow opening folders and messages.  The solution was to have a static desktop picture.

Regards,

Butch
kenny

Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:11 pm
Thanks for the interest.

Does closing and then reopening the message eliminate the problem? No
Does an immediate Pandora restart eliminate the problem? No
Does a Windows restart eliminate the problem? No
Are the cut and copy icons always greyed out when the problem occurs? They flash on for a fraction of a second as I try to select text, then go grey. If the selection works , they appear as normal.
Is the W11 installation current on installation of fixes? Yes

Playing around a bit, it seems this only occurs in draft forwarded or draft reply messages, not in inbox or sent messages.

I also thought it might be a windows issue, or a wireless mouse issue, but I had it on Win 10 on another laptop, and on Win 11 now*, but not in any other programme on either.

* different installations of Pandora
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum