Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Davo

For outgoing mail, can the dominant personality NOT be the *default* 'From' email address? Empty For outgoing mail, can the dominant personality NOT be the *default* 'From' email address?

Thu May 09, 2024 3:26 am
In outgoing mail I frequently replace the dominant personality address with a more reliable mail service. At present I do this manually. Can Pandora change its default, while leaving the dominant personality intact? If the answer is 'no', I will convert the current dominant to a lower ranking personality, and create a new dominant. Is there any reason why that's a bad idea?
Davo
butchkemper
butchkemper

For outgoing mail, can the dominant personality NOT be the *default* 'From' email address? Empty Re: For outgoing mail, can the dominant personality NOT be the *default* 'From' email address?

Fri May 24, 2024 7:15 am
Davo wrote:In outgoing mail I frequently replace the dominant personality address with a more reliable mail service. At present I do this manually. Can Pandora change its default, while leaving the dominant personality intact? If the answer is 'no', I will convert the current dominant to a lower ranking personality, and create a new dominant. Is there any reason why that's a bad idea?
Davo

Davo

Best I can determine, the From email address is determined by:

• Replying to an existing message, the email address is used from the Personality associated with the message.
  • Creating a message by double clicking on a Personality uses the email address in the Personality.
  • Selecting a Personality from the Personality window, right+click, selecting Compose New Message will use the email address in the Personality.
  • Selecting a Personality from the Personality window, pressing Enter will use the email address in the Personality.
  • Creating a message by clicking on New Message menu item, uses the email address in the <Dominant> Personality.

Here are some things I have learned about Personalities:

• Personality names must be unique, no duplicates allowed.
  • There must be a Personality name <Dominant>.
  • Personalities can be renamed from the Personality window by selecting the Personality, right+click, select Rename, and left+click.
  • The <Dominant> Personality can not be renamed.
  • Personalities can be moved in the Personalities list by selecting the Personality, right+click, selecting Move Up or Move Down, and left+click.  If do not know if having the <Dominant> Personality in other than list position 1 is allowed.

Changing the <Dominant> Personality is best handled by:

• Creating a Personality called New-Dom and having the same information and the current <Dominant>.
  • Shutdown Pandora.
  • Make a backup copy of the Personas.xml file call Personas-old.xml.
  • Use a text editor to change the Personality name <Dominant>  to Old-Dom and New-Dom to <Dominant>.  Take careful notice of how the name <Dominant> is specified in the Personas.xml file.
  • Save the Personas.xml file and startup Pandora.
  • Use the Move Up and Move Down commands to adjust the Personality list.
  • Examine the new <Dominant> Personality to make sure it is what you wanted to be.
  • Do not get in a hurry and proceed carefully.

I am sure I have forgotten something but that is why you made the back up copy of the Personas.xml file.

Let me know how it goes.

Regards,

Butch
Davo

For outgoing mail, can the dominant personality NOT be the *default* 'From' email address? Empty Re: For outgoing mail, can the dominant personality NOT be the *default* 'From' email address?

Sat May 25, 2024 4:27 am
Many thanks Butch. Your message is worth reading carefully several times. I will try your method in the near future. I used Notepad to have a look inside the Personas.xml file. Nothing intimidating there, but I can see why you advise proceeding carefully. Thanks again, and I'll let you know how I go.

All the best
Davo
Davo

Sat May 25, 2024 6:30 am
Hi Butch
New information.

I pushed one of my secondary personalities to the top of the list, above the Dominant. That secondary personality has become the default email address in new messages created with Control N ("compose new message").

The behavior I'm seeing indicates that the default email address is set by the account at the top of the list. It is not a property of the Dominant account.

Try it to see what you get.

Regards
Davo
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sat May 25, 2024 8:09 pm
Davo wrote:Hi Butch
New information.

I pushed one of my secondary personalities to the top of the list, above the Dominant. That secondary personality has become the default email address in new messages created with Control N ("compose new message").

The behavior I'm seeing indicates that the default email address is set by the account at the top of the list. It is not a property of the Dominant account.

Try it to see what you get.

Regards
Davo

Davo,

Good catch. It worked just as you stated. Everyday is a good day specially when I learn something new.

If unexpected, unexplained, and strange things happen,   be sure to check if the problem is related to the <Dominant> Personality not being first in the list.

Regards,

Butch
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum