Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
gb315

Receive mail works, but can't send (new install) Empty Receive mail works, but can't send (new install)

Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:13 pm
I've been running Eudora forever, and just installed Pandora 3.8.1.1.  I believe I've made all the mail setting the same as in Eudora.  Downloading mail worked fine.  When I try to send, nada.  The log file shows just ..
Connection with host server 'mail.twc.com' established successfully. Round-trip time: 47 ms.

I presume I've got something configured incorrectly.  Any insight?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Receive mail works, but can't send (new install) Empty Re: Receive mail works, but can't send (new install)

Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:54 am
gb315 wrote:I've been running Eudora forever, and just installed Pandora 3.8.1.1.  I believe I've made all the mail setting the same as in Eudora.  Downloading mail worked fine.  When I try to send, nada.  The log file shows just ..
Connection with host server 'mail.twc.com' established successfully. Round-trip time: 47 ms.

I presume I've got something configured incorrectly.  Any insight?

Since you are able to receive email, that portion of the configuration seems good.

Go to the menu bar and left-click on View, left-click on Personalities, right-click on <Dominant>, and left-click on Properties.

Left-click on Sending Mail and tell what is in each field.

Also, review the configuration requirements for using the twc.com mail server and make sure what you have entered complies with their requirements.

Butch
gb315

Receive mail works, but can't send (new install) Empty Re: Receive mail works, but can't send (new install)

Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:23 am
[Sending mail settings
 Personality name:                            <Dominant>
 E-Mail address:                                 [my ID]@gmail.com
 User name:                                        [my ID]@gmail.com
 Password:                                         [same as in Pandora's "Checking Mail"; also, same as in Eudora]
 SMPT Server:                                    mail.twc.com
 Authentication:                                 Basic
 Secure Sockets when sending:      Always (TLS/SSL)
 Port:                                                    587
 Include on global send"                   Checked

These are all the same used in Eudora, and as in Pandora's "Checking Mail" tab, ex the Port.  
(Port 587 is taken from Eudora's "Use submission port (587").  (Likewise on Eudora's "SSL connection information manager'))

More generally, is there a way to deduce anything about this from Pandora's "log" window?  
Does Pandora have further diagnostic info somewhere that I haven't run across?

Thank you
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:31 am
gb315 wrote:[Sending mail settings
 Personality name:                            <Dominant>
 E-Mail address:                                 [my ID]@gmail.com
 User name:                                        [my ID]@gmail.com
 Password:                                         [same as in Pandora's "Checking Mail"; also, same as in Eudora]
 SMPT Server:                                    mail.twc.com
 Authentication:                                 Basic
 Secure Sockets when sending:      Always (TLS/SSL)
 Port:                                                    587
 Include on global send"                   Checked

These are all the same used in Eudora, and as in Pandora's "Checking Mail" tab, ex the Port.  
(Port 587 is taken from Eudora's "Use submission port (587").  (Likewise on Eudora's "SSL connection information manager'))

More generally, is there a way to deduce anything about this from Pandora's "log" window?  
Does Pandora have further diagnostic info somewhere that I haven't run across?

Thank you

I suggest using port 465 which is the standard submission port when using SSL.

Butch
gb315

Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:45 am
> I suggest using port 465 which is the standard submission port when using SSL.

Done.  Log:
Connection with server 'mail.twc.com' was not established. Error #: 10060

Whereas, with port 587, the Log shows
Connection with host server 'mail.twc.com' established successfully. Round-trip time: 62 ms.

... It just doesn't send anything.
gb315

Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:01 pm
Below is a summary of a 'send' exchange,  captured wireshark.  If it would be helpful, and if there's a way to do so, I could attach a more complete .XPS or (less complete) .JPG screen shot.

The quoted parts ("..") are Wireshark's description of the packet

• I send a 66-byte TCP pkt to port 587
    server: ACK
    I send an ACK pkt
    I send an SMTP pkt; "C: DATA fragment"
    server: ACK
    server: SMTP; "S: ... server ready"
    server: SMTP; "s: 500 5.5.2 bad chars in command"
    .. followed by an exchange of what appears to be just ACKing
    .. and finally
    server: TCP; "[TCP Dup ACK 3#1] 587 -> 63405 [ACK] "
    [TCP Dup ACK 4#1] [TCP ACKed unseen segment]"

I'm not really even literate with this stuff, so I don't know if it tells anything.  As noted above, I can try to provide more detail, if it would be helpful.

NB, full disclosure: If it affects how much effort anyone expends on this problem, I'm not sure I'll end up going with Pandora.  I am, so far, finding the UI kind of awkward.  However, I am still evaluating.
gb315

Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:45 pm
I think I see where the problem is. I chanced to look at Pandora's 'Sent' mailbox, which showed 2 messages successfully sent. This would have been earlier, before I somehow lost Pandora's config when I shut down the PC. I must have screwed something up when I re-config'd. If I find anything interesting (and not too embarrassing), I'll post back. Otherwise, thanks.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum