Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
JillB

Finalizing email import taking hours [RESOLVED] Empty Finalizing email import taking hours [RESOLVED]

Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:37 pm
Hi. I'm new-ish to Pandora and finally decided to import my emails from Eudora into Pandora. Importing contacts, filters, and personalities went very smoothly, but now I'm trying to import my emails, one mailbox at a time. The first mailbox I've been trying to import contains 1094 emails and the import witch has been showing "finalizing" for the past 3+ hours. Is this normal??? Thanks in advance for any suggestions and/or reassurance you can provide!
Jill

Just a quick addition as "finalizing" (step 4/5) continues to be displayed: The cancel button is greyed out, and even if I shut down the main Pandora window, the import witch stays active (if indeed it is doing anything!). The only way I can see to get out of the import witch and stop the process is to reboot my Win10 (completely up to date as of 2pm this afternoon), but of course, I won't be able to import my emails.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Finalizing email import taking hours [RESOLVED] Empty Re: Finalizing email import taking hours [RESOLVED]

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:38 pm
Hello Jill and welcome to Pandora forum.

That's not normal, if Cancel button is enabled Cancel the task. If it's disabled start Windows Task Manager and end Importer task.

1. Start Pandora and hit View/Tasks from the main menu.
2. Select active Import-task, right-click and choose Stop.
3. If the task still goes on after you hit Stop, hold down Shift key and hit Stop again.
4. Open your main data folder, look inside the Import folder. There are eml message-files - These messages were problematic and were not imported.

If those problematic messages (eml-files) contain no personal/confidential info send them over inside the zipped attachment. We'll investigate the issue, and include the fix in next release.

Go back to Pandora, and hit Settings/Message File-Viewer, from the main menu. Check the only check-box, hit Ok, and go back to File Explorer.

Now from there you can open some of those messages and try to transfer via main menu: Transfer/In.

You can also drag and drop eml files onto the mailbox summary window. To do so:
1. Go back to Pandora and open the mailbox where you want messages imported.
2. Select eml-files in File Explorer and drag onto the open mailbox window in Pandora.
JillB

Finalizing email import taking hours [RESOLVED] Empty Re: Finalizing email import taking hours [RESOLVED]

Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:38 am
Ok, all 1094 of the emails in that mailbox are listed as .eml. They are personal correspondance with my sister in the US, so I'd like to send you the zipped file (with perhaps only half a dozen or so of the messages?) off-list. Could you give me an email address to send them to please?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:26 pm
Jill, use "Help/Send Feedback/Report a Bug" to create new addressed message. Then just attach zip file to that message.
JillB

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:57 pm
Thank you! I've sent you the bug report.
Jill
Admin
Admin
Admin

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:25 pm
thank you for sending that bug report Jill (in full), here is how to fix it:
1. close Pandora, download and install the latest version (1.83).
2. browse with File Explorer to the folder where Pandora is installed (Program Files\Pandora).
3. edit Pandora.cfg file with text editor and add UseNamedPipes=0 under the Settings section.
4. save changes, and close the file.
5. start Pandora, import as you normally would.
JillB

Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:56 pm
Thank you! I'm away from home for the weekend but will try this as soon as I get home.
Best,
Jill
JillB

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:18 pm
Again, thank you for trying to solve my problem yet again Brana. Unfortunately, this latest version hasn't changed anything. I downloaded the newest version of Pandora, uninstalled the older one (just to be sure that nothing in the old installation was messing things up), deleted the data folder, cleaned the registry, then did a clean install of Pandora 1.83. I then went to the Import Witch, told it to import the 62-message Eudora mailbox I previously sent you. The first 3 steps of the installation went lightning fast, but then the process stalled on step 4/5, as in the past. I've inserted a screen capture of the import witch when it freezes.
Finalizing email import taking hours [RESOLVED] D6k4ZNa4RKkU3DJa6
There is no further progress, in spite of waiting for an hour, and I can only exit the import witch by using Windows Task Manager, which I also have to use to exit Pandora as it too is frozen. I'm inserting another screen capture of the Task Manager showing that the import witch and Pandora are not doing anything. https://photos.app.goo.gl/rC1Tgk9jPaRdXYcx5. There are no error messages, just a total lack of responsiveness.
Once I'd re-opened Pandora, I tried to drag the individual .eml files into the TOC of the now-present mailbox, but that also froze Pandora, and once again I had to exit using the Task Manager.

I really wish I understood why my installation of Pandora is misbehaving like this. I don't generally have problems with software, and in fact, often help friends and family trouble-shoot. This is beyond frustrating, but I really want to get Pandora to work!

Best,
Jill
Admin
Admin
Admin

Mon Jul 23, 2018 6:21 pm
Jill, apply the above change, before re-running the import. If you have trouble finding/editing the configuration file (Pandora.cfg) let us know directly, we'll send it to you pre-configured.
JillB

Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:44 pm
I did apply it, though. I simply forgot to mention it. Just in case, here's what it looks like now:
[Storage]
Main=C:\Users\Jill\AppData\Roaming\Pandora\Mail\
[Settings]
UseNamedPipes=0
Session=6

I modified it using Notepad++.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:28 pm
Thank you again Jill for reporting this. It's taken care of in version 1.9, and until it comes out, if someone else stumbles upon the same problem, here is the work-around:

Solution 1:
1. Select Start > Settings.
2. Choose Update & security > Windows Defender.
3. Select Open Windows Defender Security Center.
4. Select Virus & threat protection, and then choose Virus & threat protection settings.
5.A. Scroll down to Controlled folder access, turn it off.
or
5.B. Click on Allow an app through Control folder access and add Pandora program file (full path).
5.C. Click on Allow an app through Control folder access and add Importer program file (full path).

Solution 2 - If you can't change settings - Keep Your Mail Data folder on dedicated location.
1. Create (with File Explorer) a brand new folder for your mail, keep it outside that "My Documents" path, ex: C:\Mail
2. Start Pandora, right-click on your root mailbox "Mail".
3. From the pop-up menu choose Change...
4. Double click on C:\Mail so that Current Selection reads C:\Mail.
5. Hit Select.

In case all of your folders are under "protection" - Apply both solutions.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum