Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
timg11
timg11

Eudora filter Import - unexpected behavior? Empty Eudora filter Import - unexpected behavior?

Sun May 08, 2022 7:56 pm
I imported accounts, contacts, labels, stationary, and finally messages.  

I moved the folders from Import into the PandoraMail tree (copying the contents of imported In and Out to the PandoraMail In and Out)
It appears root level folders must be moved one at a time - I was unable to multi-select or drag select all of them.

(I observe that the folder move process takes a while, but does not show progress on the status bar like copying messages from one mailbox to another)

These steps should ensure the mailboxes and their structure are present, labels are present, and accounts are present, per the "Witcher Recommends" dialog.

(I observe that while account names (personalities) are present, the configuration details (servers, ports, protocols are missing)

When I select Tools / Importing Witcher / Filters, I get the "Witcher Recommends" dialog first.
Clicking OK, the dialog returns to step 1 of 5 - what to import. Filters is still checked.
I click and have the Which Program set to Eudora.
With the next click of Next, a Which Filters dialog appears for about 1 second.  
I tried to screen capture it, but surprisingly, screen capture (shift-prtscrn) seems to be disabled while it is displayed. After a number of tries, I took a photo with my phone.

Eudora filter Import - unexpected behavior? Pandor10

This list is unexpected for several reasons:

1) This is just a few of my filters. I have hundreds - my filters.pce is 2000 lines long.
2) Why are the first 7 shown in the dialog? Is something wrong with the 8th? the 8th is a long (433 characters) regex expression. (I know from experience Eudora supports filter lines up to 512 characters, then truncates)
3) Why does the dialog close before I click Next, and zero filters are found to be imported afterwards?

Is there a manual process for importing?  I see the Pandora filters is filters.xml rather than filters.pce, so I can't just copy it over.
timg11
timg11

Eudora filter Import - unexpected behavior? Empty Re: Eudora filter Import - unexpected behavior?

Wed May 11, 2022 12:08 pm
DId anyone else with many complex filters see this issue with filter importing?
timg11
timg11

Eudora filter Import - unexpected behavior? Empty Re: Eudora filter Import - unexpected behavior?

Sat May 14, 2022 9:50 pm
Any suggestions for debugging would be greatly appreciated - I'm not able to proceed with migration from Eudora to Pandora without filters.
timg11
timg11

Sat May 28, 2022 6:01 pm
I'm stuck on this issue and not sure how to proceed. It looks like there is a pretty small group of us here. Can anyone else share how their filter import went?
Did you have any issues? How many filters were successfully imported in the Witcher?

butchkemper
butchkemper

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:59 pm
timg11 wrote:I imported accounts, contacts, labels, stationary, and finally messages.  

I moved the folders from Import into the PandoraMail tree (copying the contents of imported In and Out to the PandoraMail In and Out)
It appears root level folders must be moved one at a time - I was unable to multi-select or drag select all of them.

(I observe that the folder move process takes a while, but does not show progress on the status bar like copying messages from one mailbox to another)

These steps should ensure the mailboxes and their structure are present, labels are present, and accounts are present, per the "Witcher Recommends" dialog.

(I observe that while account names (personalities) are present, the configuration details (servers, ports, protocols are missing)

When I select Tools / Importing Witcher / Filters, I get the "Witcher Recommends" dialog first.
Clicking OK, the dialog returns to step 1 of 5 - what to import. Filters is still checked.
I click and have the Which Program set to Eudora.
With the next click of Next, a Which Filters dialog appears for about 1 second.  
I tried to screen capture it, but surprisingly, screen capture (shift-prtscrn) seems to be disabled while it is displayed. After a number of tries, I took a photo with my phone.

Eudora filter Import - unexpected behavior? Pandor10

This list is unexpected for several reasons:

1) This is just a few of my filters. I have hundreds - my filters.pce is 2000 lines long.
2) Why are the first 7 shown in the dialog? Is something wrong with the 8th? the 8th is a long (433 characters) regex expression. (I know from experience Eudora supports filter lines up to 512 characters, then truncates)
3) Why does the dialog close before I click Next, and zero filters are found to be imported afterwards?

Is there a manual process for importing?  I see the Pandora filters is filters.xml rather than filters.pce, so I can't just copy it over.

I found an old DVD backup that contained the Eudora Mail folder.  I started the Witcher:
  • Clicked Yes the the UAC message.
  • Selected Filters on the Step 1/5 window, the Witcher Recommends window opened, and I clicked OK.
  • The Step 1/5 window opened again, I Selected Filters, and clicked Next.
  • The Step 2/5 window opened, I selected Eudora, clicked in the blank box to select the Eudora file location on the backup DVD, and clicked Next.
  • The Step 3/5 window opened Which filter would you like to import? with all filters selected.
  • At this point I stopped.

I think you have encountered a bug or there is a problem with the Eudora file.  I suggest you submit a Bug report to Brana.  Click on Help | Send Feedback | Report a Bug which will open a New Message window where you can describe the problem.  Attach the Eudora Filters file to the message and send it off to Brana.

Butch
timg11
timg11

Sat Jul 09, 2022 6:59 pm
@butchkemper  thank you for trying that and reporting the results.
If I recall, the witcher recommends first importing accounts and email before importing filters.
My past few attempts at importing accounts and email succeeded, but the process took almost 24 hours of time, during which I have to keep Eudora closed.

I'm surviving with Eudora for now, like I have for the past 10+ years, so I'll continue to look for a suitable time when I can get back into this and try another importing run with Pandora and use the built-in bug reporter.  I'm hoping Pandora updates will be released in the meantime.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sat Jul 09, 2022 9:05 pm
timg11 wrote:@butchkemper  thank you for trying that and reporting the results.
If I recall, the witcher recommends first importing accounts and email before importing filters.
My past few attempts at importing accounts and email succeeded, but the process took almost 24 hours of time, during which I have to keep Eudora closed.

I'm surviving with Eudora for now, like I have for the past 10+ years, so I'll continue to look for a suitable time when I can get back into this and try another importing run with Pandora and use the built-in bug reporter.  I'm hoping Pandora updates will be released in the meantime.

My recommendation is to first import only the accounts. Then do the other items, one at a time.

Before you import the messages, scan through the folders tree looking for names containing special characters.  Pandora does not allow some characters in folder names and their presence will cause an error.  Use Eudora to rename the offending folder names to remove the disallowed characters.

I recommend importing messages in small batches.  I do not think it speeds up the process, but small batches makes it easier to determine the offending message(s) should an error occur.

Import the filters by themselves, after the accounts and messages are imported.

Hope this helps.

Butch
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum