Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Caesar

Thinking of finally switching from Eudora Empty Thinking of finally switching from Eudora

Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:33 pm
Hi,

25 years with Eudora, around 150,000 email in 20 folders and around 100 subfolders, ~ 20 different email accounts set up...that's me.

Could anyone who made the switch from Eudora tell me if the switch to Pandora went smoothly and if you are happy or should I better stick to Eudora?
Thank you kindly.

Cheers
Caesar
butchkemper
butchkemper

Thinking of finally switching from Eudora Empty Re: Thinking of finally switching from Eudora

Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:50 am
Caesar wrote:Hi,

25 years with Eudora, around 150,000 email in 20 folders and around 100 subfolders, ~ 20 different email accounts set up...that's me.

Could anyone who made the switch from Eudora tell me if the switch to Pandora went smoothly and if you are happy or should I better stick to Eudora?
Thank you kindly.

Cheers
Caesar
I switched from Eudora to Pandora about 2 years ago.  I spent some time watching Pandora develop before I made the switch.  There were a few bumps but nothing major and I have not regretted making the change.

Pandora has a conversion program "Importing Witch" that transfers  accounts, contact, filters, labels, and messages.  My recommendation is to use the tool to import one thing at a time and do the mailboxes last.  When you import the mailboxes, start with a single mailbox at a time until you get a feel for how your messages are converting.  I think starting with a subfolder is the best approach.  Do not convert too many folders at a time.

Buy a license because without the license, you will be limited to a single account.  The license is not expensive, is less than a good lunch, and it helps out the developer.

Let me know if you have any questions and I will try to help.

Butch

Caesar likes this post

Davo

Thinking of finally switching from Eudora Empty Re: Thinking of finally switching from Eudora

Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:52 am

Thank you kindly.

Cheers
Caesar

Hi Caesar
I switched in May 2020, after using Eudora since version 3.x. I had rehearsed the switch on an old laptop, and knew what to expect. It went well. The developer quickly answered questions of the form 'how do I do ...?', resulting from my unfamiliarity with Pandora, and failure to read the Help service. About 10 address book entries did not appear in Pandora, so I added them manually. The developer would have helped troubleshoot that issue, but I did not bother, because Eudora is still installed, so it was only a minor nuisance to copy and enter the missing addresses as they were detected. Apart from that, I have not noticed any lost or scrambled emails or other data. I would never go back to Eudora. Good luck. Davo

Caesar likes this post

Fliphmds

Thinking of finally switching from Eudora Empty Did it 4 or so years ago.

Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:33 am
I ran Eudora for over 20 yrs. Switched to Pandora about 4 yrs ago. Does everything Eud did, and then a little more.
Conversion is easy, but make sure you turn off (or down) all junk mail checks in Pandy before you start. If you don't alot of your good mail ends up in Junk folder. Buy a license, it's worth it. Support has been very good.

Caesar likes this post

Caesar

Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:04 pm
Hi,

So I bought a license via Paypal. How long does it usually take to get the license into the mailbox? Is it not automated?
I would like to start with the installation.

Another question- moving from Eudora to Pandora 64bit, do I need to download the importer32?

Thank you.

Cheers
Caesar

Last edited by Caesar on Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Caesar

Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:16 pm
Ok, the license arrived, I installed Pandora (with the system files in the Pandora folder for easier synchronizing afterwards).

The 36 accounts were imported.

Problems with the address book...there are more than 300 address book entries, it showed 13 entries to import and it imported only those. How can I import the rest?

Now over to the folders. The first one (a small one with 9880 mail) was imported within a few minutes. The next one with 5 sub-folders and 30000 mail was imported but some of the sub-folders were ignored and are empty now. How can this be fixed?
There are 25 more folders with plenty of sub-folders next...

Thank you for any help.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:13 am

So I bought a license via Paypal. How long does it usually take to get the license into the mailbox? Is it not automated?
I would like to start with the installation.

Another question- moving from Eudora to Pandora 64bit, do I need to download the importer32?

Thank you.

Cheers
Caesar

The Importer32 module must be used when the importing process takes place in a 32bit environment.

I see from a later post that you received your license.

Best wishes on your new adventure.
Butch
Caesar

Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:18 am
Hi Butch,

Eudora is installed in a 32bit environment as you know. My question was if I need to install any importer to import from the 32 bit Eudora environment to the 64 bit Pandora environment?

Next question please- how do I change the date/time format from AM/PM to 24 hours display and the date from 03/31/1999 to 31.03.1999?
Thanks again.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:20 am
Caesar wrote:Ok, the license arrived, I installed Pandora (with the system files in the Pandora folder for easier synchronizing afterwards).

The 36 accounts were imported.

Problems with the address book...there are more than 300 address book entries, it showed 13 entries to import and it imported only those. How can I import the rest?

Now over to the folders. The first one (a small one with 9880 mail) was imported within a few minutes. The next one with 5 sub-folders and 30000 mail was imported but some of the sub-folders were ignored and are empty now. How can this be fixed?

Thank you for any help.

This issue is beyond my knowledge level.  I suggest you ask Brana for assistance.  Go to Help | Send Feedback | Report A Bug, explain what is happening and ask for assistance.

Regards.

Butch
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:48 am
Caesar wrote:Hi Butch,

Eudora is installed in a 32bit environment as you know. My question was if I need to install any importer to import from the 32 bit Eudora environment to the 64 bit Pandora environment?

Next question please- how do I change the date/time format from AM/PM to 24 hours display and the date from 03/31/1999 to 31.03.1999?
Thanks again.

The conversion machine Operating System environment determines which Importer to use.  So,  if the conversion takes place on a machine running a 32bit version of Windows, then Importer32 is required.

On my computer, I have Windows set to a 24 hour format and that is what Pandora uses.  On my wife's computer, she has windows set for 12 hour time and that is what Pandora uses. If Pandora is not following Windows settings, you will have to ask Brana about that.

Regards.

Butch
Caesar

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:03 am
Thank you Butch.
So this lady Brana doesn't read here? It would be great if she would respond here to save her time for future clients with the same issues, no?
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:08 am
Caesar wrote:Thank you Butch.
So this lady Brana doesn't read here? It would be great if she would respond here to save her time for future clients with the same issues, no?

Brana is a male and is the forum administrator.  He does respond to the forum but to get a rapid response, send him email.

Regards,

Butch
Caesar

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:24 am
Oppsss, sorry, my apologies. In this part of the world (Brazil) all names with the letter "a" at the end are female.
I will wait, no stress.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:50 am
butchkemper wrote:
Caesar wrote:Hi Butch,

Thanks again.

The conversion machine Operating System environment determines which Importer to use.  So,  if the conversion takes place on a machine running a 32bit version of Windows, then Importer32 is required.

On my computer, I have Windows set to a 24 hour format and that is what Pandora uses.  On my wife's computer, she has windows set for 12 hour time and that is what Pandora uses. If Pandora is not following Windows settings, you will have to ask Brana about that.

Regards.

Butch

I spoke too quickly about the time format.  

In Settings | General | Mailboxes | Date Display,

• there are two settings specified as TIME12.  Change these to TIME24.
  • there are two settings specified DATE, change that to DATE_SHORT and see what happens.  For more information, look under Help | Mailboxes.

Regards,

Butch
Caesar

Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:41 pm
Hi Again,

I spent another day trying to get Pandora running. I uninstalled it completely, reinstalled it, imported the address book which again ended up with 13 entries only (out of more than 300) and imported the messages, folder by folder which took another 6 hours. I compared them with my Eudora and it showed the correct amount of mailboxes and messages searching in Eudora for "@".

Then over to the Search. It started to index and crashed after a while. I started again and after a while it crashed again.

Next issue- Pandora is starting very slowly. It takes up to 20 seconds to fire up. The shortest time so far was 5 seconds (which is still a long time considering it is a modern box with a good processor, RAM and SSD HDD).
Could the developer please respond to these issues and can it be fixed?
I'm still struggling setting the time format to 31.12.2009 and 18:45.

Cheers
Caesar
cthulhux

Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:08 pm
Have you sent an e-mail to the developer?
Caesar

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:13 pm
What is his email address please?
Thank you.
cthulhux

Tue Feb 09, 2021 6:21 pm
Help -> Feedback should help.
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:48 pm
Caesar wrote:

Before importing Address Books from Eudora un-check "Hide address books from simple viruses", under Tools/Options in Eudora. Make sure all address books file pairs have txt/toc extensions. These files are usually located inside Nickname folder.

Caesar wrote:

Importer does not change in any way source mailboxes. As why some mailboxes were ignored, feel free contact us directly (Help/Send Feedback) and include full paths of those mailboxes. Send some sample source mailboxes as well, if you can.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:02 pm
Caesar wrote:
Next issue- Pandora is starting very slowly. It takes up to 20 seconds to fire up. The shortest time so far was 5 seconds (which is still a long time considering it is a modern box with a good processor, RAM and SSD HDD).

Cheers
Caesar

There is a Windows problem that causes Pandora to be slow in opening window panes.  I have found that restarting Pandora does not help but restarting Windows does help.  I think it caused by some program with a memory leak but I have not find which program is the villain.

Did you make these changes?
Caesar wrote:
In Settings | General | Mailboxes | Date Display,

• there are two settings specified as TIME12.  Change these to TIME24.
  • there are two settings specified DATE, change that to DATE_SHORT and see what happens.  For more information, look under Help | Mailboxes.

I found that when I changed the Pandora settings DATE to DATE_SHORT and then restarted Pandora that today's date became 21/2/09.  Making the separators be dots must be a Windows setting but I can not find it.

Butch
Caesar

Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:00 am
butchkemper wrote:
Did you make these changes?
Butch

Yes, I did but without success.

Cheers
Caesar
butchkemper
butchkemper

Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:19 pm
butchkemper wrote:
Caesar wrote:

Cheers
Caesar

There is a Windows problem that causes Pandora to be slow in opening window panes.  I have found that restarting Pandora does not help but restarting Windows does help.  I think it caused by some program with a memory leak but I have not find which program is the villain.

Butch

I found some additional information about a Windows Memory Usage Problem.

Short summary/solution - Pandora mailboxes and message displays slowly become sluggish.  Turn off desktop background slideshow and display a single picture.

Long story/solution - I have personalized my desktop settings to have a changing background picture displayed.  In the Background box, Slideshow is selected to load photos from a directory in Pictures and the photo changes every minute.  I have found Pandora slowly becomes sluggish does not open mailboxes and messages "fast and snappy" like just after a Windows restart.   Today, I stumbled across something that made me suspect Slideshow as the villain.  I stopped using the slideshow option and Pandora remains "fast and snappy",  Time will tell if this was the cure.

Butch
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Thinking of finally switching from Eudora Empty Pandora Mail Client experiences

Tue May 11, 2021 5:11 am
Another long-time Eudora user here (since 1998 or thereabouts). Purchased a Pandora licence a couple of weeks ago, and immediately tried to register with this foru,m but didn't get a confirmation back (until today).

So I launched a new blog to document and share my findings and wishes/recommendations, do a search for Pandora Mail Client experiences and I most certainly will welcome your comments and advice there.

I will probably keep the blog going (in parallel with contributing to this forum), since a blog it is a different sort of platform that gives me extra freedom to express  opinions which might not be the sort of thing that are right and proper to put forward in a forum [that I don't manage]. Wink

I've had a few major and minor issues with migration across from Eudora, but most of them have been resolved with Brana's fantastic e-mail responsiveness.

I'm quite excited with Pandora's rich feature set. It has been a challenge to quickly come to grips with all of its features that are not found in Eudora or that work differently, but I'm getting there and very much like the broad range and flexibility of Pandora's configuration options (some of which I've already discussed in the blog, more to follow).

-- Tony Austin

Last edited by NotesTracker on Tue May 11, 2021 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
cthulhux

Tue May 11, 2021 7:22 am
I couldn’t find that blog.
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Tue May 11, 2021 8:35 am
I cannot enter links (during my first week on this forum) so the best I can do is
pandoramail [dot] blogspot [dot] com
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum