Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
urbite

Req: 'Empty trash' to force immediate deletion from server Empty Req: 'Empty trash' to force immediate deletion from server

Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:23 pm
I have Pandora set up to leave mail on the server, so when I'm mobile I can see new mail. When at my PC I try to keep all trash emails deleted from the server so they don't populate my phone inbox.

However, after the 'empty trash' action is taken, the user must check the mail (ctrl-M) to cause the trash emails to be deleted from the server. It would be desirable to have an option to delete the emails from the server as soon the 'empty trash' action is taken.

This is either a request for how to enable this functionality in Pandora if it already exists, or to add the capability.

Note: This wouldn't be as big of an issue if the iPhone email client worked correctly. The iPhone client has the following issues:

• Checks for email even when the email app isn't in the foreground. So junk email is downloaded before one has a chance to delete it from the server
  • Even worse, email isn't deleted from the server when deleted in the app, even though the option to 'delete from server when deleting in app is checked'.

Both issues have been known for years but never fixed. Thank you Apple. Crying or Very sad
butchkemper
butchkemper

Req: 'Empty trash' to force immediate deletion from server Empty Re: Req: 'Empty trash' to force immediate deletion from server

Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:54 pm
urbite wrote:I have Pandora set up to leave mail on the server, so when I'm mobile I can see new mail. When at my PC I try to keep all trash emails deleted from the server so they don't populate my phone inbox.

However, after the 'empty trash' action is taken, the user must check the mail (ctrl-M) to cause the trash emails to be deleted from the server. It would be desirable to have an option to delete the emails from the server as soon the 'empty trash' action is taken.

This is either a request for how to enable this functionality in Pandora if it already exists, or to add the capability.

Note: This wouldn't be as big of an issue if the iPhone email client worked correctly. The iPhone client has the following issues:

• Checks for email even when the email app isn't in the foreground. So junk email is downloaded before one has a chance to delete it from the server
  • Even worse, email isn't deleted from the server when deleted in the app, even though the option to 'delete from server when deleting in app is checked'.

Both issues have been known for years but never fixed. Thank you Apple. Crying or Very sad

I know this sounds condescending but it is not meant to be.  Is there a reason why not to issue an Empty Trash followed a Check Mail?  Developer time is limited and there are lots of projects in the queue.

Butch
urbite

Req: 'Empty trash' to force immediate deletion from server Empty Re: Req: 'Empty trash' to force immediate deletion from server

Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:09 pm
butchkemper wrote:

I know this sounds condescending but it is not meant to be.  Is there a reason why not to issue an Empty Trash followed a Check Mail?  Developer time is limited and there are lots of projects in the queue.

Butch

Quite often I forget to 'check mail' after 'empty trash, thus ending up with mail on my phone that wasn't desired. Having mail deleted from server when 'empty trash' action is select *AND* 'delete from server when trash is emptied' option is enabled seems like the natural way this should work. It is also how Eudora works.

In the end, although the two-step process works, for me it is non-intuitive and prone to error. This is an important feature that I would welcome and doesn't seem unreasonable to request. Of course, the priority of implementing this usability enhancement is at the developer's discretion. If/when/if ever it is implemented it will enhance my Pandora user experience.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum