Pandora Mail Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
dgkilner@gmail.com

Error message when checking Gmail first time Empty Error message when checking Gmail first time

Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:55 am
I installed Pandora with the intention of using it to access my Gmail account. i followed all the installation instructions from Gmail for POP and used the Wizard in Pandora. But when i try to Get Mail, I get an error message User name and Password Not Accepted. But I am sure they are right. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks,
David
Admin
Admin
Admin
http://www.drivehq.com/web/brana/pandora.htm

Error message when checking Gmail first time Empty Re: Error message when checking Gmail first time

Fri Sep 29, 2023 6:37 pm
Here are general specs for Gmail accounts (using OAuth2):

User Name: [Your e-mail address]

IMAP Server: imap.gmail.com
Authentication: OAuth2
Secure Sockets Receiving: Always
Port #: 993

POP Server: pop.gmail.com
Secure Sockets Receiving: Always
Port #: 995

SMTP Server: smtp.gmail.com
Secure Sockets Sending: Always
Port #: 465

Note. OAuth2 authentication requires additional client confirmation via web-browser, so when you login for the first time Pandora will launch your default web-browser with corresponding confirmation page. Only after that confirmation OAuth2 authentication is initialized.
dgkilner@gmail.com

Error message when checking Gmail first time Empty Not Loading

Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:05 am
It now refuses to load at all even when I use Run As Administrator.
It starts to load and I see a red thermometer bar at the bottom then it turns itself off.
Tony Austin
Tony Austin
https://asiapac.com.au/

Error message when checking Gmail first time Empty Re: Error message when checking Gmail first time

Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:55 am
Hello dgkilner!   I don't lnpe the answer, but maybe you just might get an inkling for solution from this Bing search   or from this Google search
dgkilner@gmail.com

Error message when checking Gmail first time Empty Pandora Mail Not Loading

Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:02 am
Thanks for the suggestion but I can't even get that far. It just refuses to load. I uninstalled and re-installed but still get the same problem.
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:09 am
Clutching at straws here, but to start with why not try rebooting Windows into Safe Mode with Networking and see if that makes any difference. That MIGHT give some indicative messages.

Another though, after rebooting Windows into normal mode, is try uninstalling Pandora and reinstalling it into a different folder to see if that makes any difference (such as different error messahes).

Keep reporting back so that we in the Pandora community can suggest other approaches.

I access my gmail account via POP without any issues, after having generated an application-specific password for my Pandora installation (as Google mandates for third-party apps like Pandora). You did generate such a password, did you not?
dgkilner@gmail.com

Fri Oct 13, 2023 1:01 am
I tried it in Safe Mode - no different.

I uninstalled it then reinstalled it in a different folder.

Ran it as Administrator - no different.

Starts to load with a thermometer bar then switches it self off
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:18 am
Hmm, you're really having some fundamental issues. and while I'm trying to help I'm only guessing what might resolve your problem.

Here's another thought. Why not try installing an earlier version of Pandora and see what happens. If an earlier version also fails to execute that will mean something useful (I think).

AFAIK there's no official archive of old Pandora versions, but I've assembled many of the older versions on my website (which won't be there forever, since I'm an old bloke):  https://asiapac.com.au/misc/pandora-mail-installer-archive-unofficial/https://asiapac.com.au/misc/pandora-mail-installer-archive-unofficial/

Maybe start with installing the earliest release of Pandora Version 5 (pandora v5.0.0.1.zip) for which your current software key should work. If that still fails, then maybe go back to Version 4 but your software key won't work for that so it will only run in restricted mode (trial mode). Let us know what happens.
dgkilner@gmail.com

Error message when checking Gmail first time Empty Earlier versions of Pandora

Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:32 am
I get a 404 Error when I follow your link
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:51 am
Oops, I duplicated the text of the link, it should be: https://asiapac.com.au/misc/pandora-mail-installer-archive-unofficial/

Oops again! ... Fixed a typo: "test" should have been entered as "text"

Last edited by Tony Austin on Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Fri Oct 13, 2023 10:12 am
I should have explained my thinking about testing earlier Pandora versions. If some earlier versions happens to work, to me this would show that there's something different about the latest release, that's all. It would just eliminate one possible error cause.
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:38 am
Clarification needed -- In your seconf post in this thread you said : "It now refuses to load at all even when I use Run As Administrator."

Do did mean that Pandora,exe (latest version) now will not open at all, aren't you? That is, Pandora.exe does not stay open and after a seconf or two crashes before you can do anything with it such as checking settings.

Brana just told me that you should navigate to Personality/Properties and inspect:
- Password (Toggle Show Password button)
- SSL
- Authentication
- Ports
- Pay attention to first log-in and browser window if using OAuth2

But of course, if Pandora.exe doesn't s stay open then you can't do any of this at all.

This leads me to wonder if any of the files like Pandora.ini (in the installation folder) can be manually tweaked with a text editor to enable Pandora to launch and stay open [enabling you to check those settings]. I wouldn't know which settings you might be able to edit to achieve this.
dgkilner@gmail.com

Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:30 am
Yes, you're right, i doesn't even get to first base
Tony Austin
Tony Austin

Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:00 pm
Do you see any related errors flagged in the Windows event viewer? If do, summarize rhen and paste a copy here.
butchkemper
butchkemper

Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:56 pm
I do not know what is meant by "it does not load" or "get to first base"?

When you double-click on the Pandora icon, does the Pandora program start and display the mail window?

Only on rare occasions does installing Pandora again correct any problems. Nor does running Pandora in Administrator mode help.

Have you modified any Pandora files manually?  If the Pandora.ini file has been corrupted by manual editing, then Pandora may not startup.  Installing Pandora again will not correct this problem because the installer will not overwrite an existing .ini file.

My suggestion would be to:
  • Make sure Pandora is shutdown.
  • Rename the Pandora User Data Folder - for example Mail to OldMail
  • Uninstall Pandora - This may not be necessary but it will not hurt anything.
  • Run the Pandora Installer in Administrator mode.
  • Start Pandora in Normal mode.
  • Shutdown Pandora, rename the Mail/Pandora.ini file to Mail/Pandora.newini,  move the OldMail/Pandora.ini file to Mail/Pandora.ini file.
  • Start Pandora in Normal mode.  If it does not come up, then the problem is something in the Pandora.ini file. Rename the Mail/Pandora.ini file to Mail/Pandora.oldini and then rename the Mail/Pandora.newini to Mail/Pandora.ini.

That should get you started.  If you would like to setup a connection between our computers for online debugging, send a message to butch at kemperfamily dot us.

Butch
dgkilner@gmail.com

Error message when checking Gmail first time Empty Pandora Mail Not Loading

Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:47 am
When you double-click on the Pandora icon, does the Pandora program start and display the mail window?
Briefly - then shuts down

Have you modified any Pandora files manually?
No, haven't touched a thing

I will give your suggestions a try but I am not tech savvy.

Thanks,
David
butchkemper
butchkemper

Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:13 pm
dgkilner@gmail.com wrote:When you double-click on the Pandora icon, does the Pandora program start and display the mail window?
Briefly - then shuts down

Have you modified any Pandora files manually?  
No, haven't touched a thing

I will give your suggestions a try but I am not tech savvy.

Thanks,
David
David,

Something has happened to one of the mailbox files.  The previous suggestions are still relevant to try.

A connection between our computers would be a viable way to get things restored.

Butch
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum